The M.S. in Health Analytics and Biostatistics is a 36-credit program preparing students to become biostatisticians.
Master of Science in Health Analytics and Biostatistics
Accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), the MS in Health Analytics and Biostatistics program offers small class sizes an opportunities to work with faculty and practicing in diverse areas across the public health field.
M.S. in Health Analytics and Biostatistics
The M.S. in Health Analytics and Biostatistics program at the University of Nevada, Reno trains students in biostatistics who intend to plan and conduct quantitative analysis in public health, biomedicine, and biology. The curriculum emphasizes theory, methods, and applied skills to prepare students to design and execute biostatistical analyses appropriate for a range of study designs.
Admission procedures and requirements
Prospective students must meet the graduate admission requirements of both the University of Nevada, Reno, and School of Public Health, per the following guidelines:
- Regular fall admission: The priority deadline (to receive full consideration for Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships, and merit graduate student awards) is February 1. The final deadline for fall admission is June 1.
- Only one graduate cohort is admitted each year.
- Incomplete or unverified applications will not be reviewed.
- If you miss the deadline and would like to discuss enrolling in graduate special coursework that could be applied to the MS program, please contact Kristen Clements-Nolle, Director of Graduate Studies, at email@example.com.
- Undergraduate degree: Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, with an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4-point scale. If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 but higher than 2.75 your application will be considered if your GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework is 3.0 or higher. If you graduated from an international college or university, please contact The Graduate School for approval of your undergraduate degree for graduate studies at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- GRE Scores: The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is optional for the MS in Health Analytics and Biostatistics program. If test scores are submitted, they should be official scores from an exam taken within the last five (5) years.
- Duolingo, TOEFL, or IELTS Test Scores (required if education history is from a non-English Speaking Country). OFFICIAL Duolingo, TOEFL, or IELTS test scores are required if your educational history is from a non-English speaking country. Minimum scores: Duolingo: 105, TOEFL: 550 (paper) or 79 (internet); IELTS: 6.5 (academic version).
- Three letters of recommendation: Letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant's motivation, academic capability, scholarship potential, and personal goals for graduate study.
- Statement of Purpose: The essay should be approximately 500 words in length, outlining the student's interest in graduate study in public health, potential research interests, career objectives, and specifying the MS emphasis of interest (Biostatistics; Epidemiology; Health Administration and Policy; Social and Behavioral Health)
- Resume or CV: Current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) that demonstrates professional and/or educational health-related experience.
M.S. in Health Analytics and Biostatistics prerequisite coursework
Completion of an undergraduate or graduate course in statistics.
Two separate applications are necessary for admission to the Master of Science program: One application package is submitted directly to SOPHAS; The second application package is submitted to The Graduate School of the University of Nevada, Reno. Before applying for admission, please note the admission requirements above.
Step 1: SOPHAS Application
A full application must be submitted to SOPHAS and you must pay the fee before you can apply to the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School. The following materials should be submitted directly to SOPHAS:
- Transcripts. One official copy of transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- GRE Scores. Submit OFFICIAL GRE scores by using the University of Nevada, Reno SOPHAS code 7828.
- Duolingo, TOEFL, or IELTS Test Scores (required if education history is from a non-English Speaking Country). OFFICIAL Duolingo, TOEFL, or IELTS test scores are required if your educational history is from a non-English speaking country. Minimum scores: TOEFL: 550 (paper) or 79 (internet); IELTS: 6.5 (academic version); Duolingo: 105. Scores can be submitted using the University of Nevada, Reno SOPHAS code 5688.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or CV
Step 2: University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School application
A very short application to the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School is also required, but you will not need to re-submit the other materials submitted to SOPHAS. A full application must be submitted to SOPHAS (step 1) and you must pay the fee before you can apply to the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School. Only fees for the University of Nevada, Reno application will be covered by the School of Public Health (not the SOPHAS application).
To complete the University application, follow these steps:
- Access the online application.
- Click create account to create a username and password and then log in and begin the short application.
- At the end of the application, there is an "Application Fee Waiver" section with instructions. The coupon code to use is SPH2023.
- Enter the coupon code (SPH2023) and click "save and review."
- After you finish reviewing click "save and pay".
- This will take you to the next page where you will select "request a waiver" and then "submit waiver request". This can take a few minutes, but please wait for it to finish. You should get a congratulations page when it is complete.
Please be aware that you will not be considered for admission until you have submitted a completed SOPHAS application and the University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School application.