NTF Mechanical Engineering and Development Team
The NTF Mechanical Engineering and Development Team designs, develops, and fabricates experimental equipment and core diagnostics components for the two-terawatt Zebra pulsed-power generator, and all NTF high-energy lasers. The groups is composed of Engineers, Technicians, and Students working in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- The mechanical design of hardware and diagnostics for experiments.
- The mechanical design of components for the Zebra generator, and the Leopard and Cheetah lasers.
- Deploying of experiments on to Zebra, Leopard or Cheetah.
- Manufacturing of prototypes and low-scale production.
- Supporting of ongoing experiments
- The design and maintenance of vacuum systems.
- The design and maintenance of vacuum control systems.
- Training and teaching students.
- Designing tool - ProE Wildfire parametric solid modeler
- Milling machines - (3) manual and one retrofitted CNC mills,
- Lathes (3)
- Drill presses (3) and other small machine tools.
- Large Jobs - The NTF mechanical group can employ the CNC lathe and CNC mill from the Physics Department shop at no extra cost
- Welding capabilities available for vacuum parts