Education licensure by state

The University has collected information about licensing requirements and made the determinations regarding the alignment of the teacher education curriculum with state educational requirements for licensure to the best of its ability. These determinations apply only to teaching licenses, and do not apply to any subject-specific endorsements or certificates.

Individual states may have different and specific educational requirements to obtain subject-specific credentials. If you plan to seek an endorsement or certificate to teach a specific subject-area, we highly advise you to contact the licensing board for the state in which you plan to apply for the endorsement/certificate for more information about educational requirements.

State Licensure Information
State Does the program meet educational requirements for licensure/certification? Agency Name Phone
Alabama Has not been determined Alabama State Department of Education (334) 694-4900
Alaska Yes Alaska Dept. of Education and Early Development, Teacher Certification (907) 465-2831
Arizona Yes Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education (602) 542-5709
Arkansas Has not been determined Arkansas Department of Education (501) 682-4475
California No California Department of Education (916)-319-0800
Colorado Yes Colorado Department of Education (303) 866-6600
Connecticut Has not been determined Connecticut State Board of Education (860) 713-6969
Delaware Yes Delaware Department of Education (302) 735-4000
District of Columbia Has not been determined District of Columbia Public Schools (202) 442-5885
Florida Yes Florida Department of Education (800) 445-6739
Georgia Has not been determined Georgia Professional Standards Commission (404) 232-2500
Hawaii Has not been determined Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (808) 586-2600
Idaho No* Idaho State Department of Education (208) 332-6800
Illnois No Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (312) 814-2220
Indiana Has not been determined Indiana Department of Education Office of Educator Licensing (317) 232-9010
Iowa Has not been determined Iowa Department of Education (515) 725-0101
Kansas Has not been determined Kansas State Department of Education (785) 296-2288
Kentucky Has not been determined Kentucky Department of Education (502) 564-5846
Louisana Has not been determined Louisiana Department of Education (877) 453-2721
Maine Has not been determined Certifiction Office, Maine Department of Education (207) 624-6603
Maryland Has not been determined Maryland State Department of Education (410) 767-0100
Massachusetts Has not been determined Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (781) 338-6600
Michigan Has not been determined Michigan Department of Education (833) 633-5788_
Minnesota Has not been determined Minnesota Department of Education (651) 582-8200
Mississippi Has not been determined Mississippi Department of Education (601) 359-3513
Missouri Has not been determined Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (573) 751-4212
Montana Has not been determined Montana Office of Public Instruction (406) 444-2580
Nebraska Has not been determined Nebraska Department of Education (402) 471-2295
Nevada Yes State of Nevada Board of Education, Office of Educator Licensure (775) 687-9115 or (702) 486-6458
New Hampshire Has not been determined New Hampshire Department of Education (603) 271-2409
New Jersey Has not been determined New Jersey Department of Higher Education (609) 376-3500
New Mexico No New Mexico Public Education Department (505) 827-5800
New York Has not been determined Office of Teaching Initiatives (518) 474-3901
North Carolina Has not been determined North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (919) 716-1800
North Dakota Has not been determined North Dakota Education Standards and Practices Board (701) 328-9641
Ohio Has not been determined Ohio Department of Education (877) 644-6338
Oklahoma Has not been determined Oklahoma State Department of Education (405) 521-3301
Oregon Yes Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (503) 378-3586
Pennsylvania Has not been determined Pennsylvania Department of Education (717) 783-6788
Puerto Rico Has not been determined Puerto Rico State Department of Education (787) 759-2000
Rhode Island Has not been determined Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (401) 222-4600
South Carolina Has not been determined South Carolina Department of Education (803) 734-8500
South Dakota Yes South Dakota Department of Education (605) 773-3134
Tennessee Has not been determined Tennessee Department of Education (615) 532-4885
Tennessee Has not been determined Tennessee State Board of Education (615) 741-2966
Texas No Texas Education Agency (512) 463-9734
Utah No** Utah State Board of Education (801) 538-7740
Vermont Has not been determined Vermont Agency of Education-Licensing Office (802) 828-3440
Virgin Islands Has not been determined Virgin Islands Department of Education (340) 774-0100
Virginia No*** Virginia Department of Education (804) 786-2302
Washington Yes Professional Educator Standards Board (360) 725-6275
West Virginia Has not been determined West Virginia Department of Education (304) 558-7010
Wisconsin Has not been determined Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (608) 266-3390
Wyoming No Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (307) 777-7291

Last Updated: 3/9/22

*Idaho requires applicants to have graduated from a CAEP-accredited program. The Bachelor of Music, Music Education program will meet this requirement until the College of Education and Human Development’s CAEP accreditation expires in 2023. The College of Education and Human Development then plans to be accredited by AAQEP. The University of Nevada, Reno has not yet determined if Idaho will accept graduates of programs accredited by AAQEP.

**Utah requires applicants to have completed a course with improvisation in the course title or course objective. Students may be able to fulfill this requirement through non-degree courses offered from the Department of Music prior to graduation. Consult with your advisor for more information about course offerings.

***Virginia requires additional coursework that can be accessed online at no cost.