Andrew Heglund is Associate Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno where he teaches percussion, directs the UNR Percussion Ensemble, and teaches jazz small groups. Heglund holds a Doctor of Arts Degree in Music from the University of Northern Colorado, a Master’s of Music Degree in Jazz Studies from the University of North Texas, and a Bachelor of Music in Percussion Performance from the University of Minnesota. Heglund performs with the UNR faculty jazz quintet The Collective and has played on four compact disc recordings with the group (North, Boats, Balance, and Once and Again). He has also performed with this group at the Reno Jazz Festival alongside guest artists such as Dave Douglas, Joe Lovano, Lee Konitz, Randy Brecker, and Bobby Hutcherson. Recent recordings include a compact disc with the Reno Jazz Orchestra titled Jazz Alive, an Earth Wind and Fire tribute recording with the RJO soon to be released, and a recording featuring Heglund’s original compositions titled Blue Trapezoid. Dr. Heglund has also recorded a percussion/bassoon duo CD with Ithaca College bassoon professor Christine Schillinger titled Bassoon Surrounded which showcases music for bassoon and percussion. Additional performing ensembles include the Ed Corey Trio, the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra, the Reno Chamber Orchestra and the RPO’s Discover Music Percussion Ensemble. Heglund has also performed with the San Francisco Contemporary Music Players on a George Crumb world premiere titled Xylophony and a performance of Ionization conducted by Steven Schick. Dr. Heglund is a composer and has had several solo percussion works choreographed and performed with the Sierra Nevada Ballet. He is also an active guest soloist and has performed at colleges and universities throughout the U.S. Dr. Heglund is a clinician/adjudicator in Northern Nevada and Northern California and organizes the annual Northern Nevada Day of Percussion and the Reno Jazz Orchestra/UNR Jazz in the Schools Clinic.
- Blue Trapezoid. The Collective. Release Date: 2019, ASIN: B07V5XFLFJ. Label: Tonegold Records.
- Once and Again. The Collective. Release Date: 2008, ASIN: B0019BFHIO.
- Balance. The Collective. Recorded July 22 & 23, 2005. Recording and Mixing Engineer: Tom Gordon. Mastered by George Horn at Fantasy Records. Release Date: 2006.
- Boats. The Collective. Release Date: 2003.
- North. The Collective. Label: The Collective. ASIN: B000OEB45W.
- Bassoon Surrounded. 20th Century Music for Bassoon & Percussion. Christin Schillinger, bassoon; Andrew Heglund, percussion; Albie Micklich, bassoon; Sharon Hickox, percussion. Label: MSR Classics.
- DA, music, University of Northern Colorado
- MM, jazz studies, University of North Texas