Andrew Heglund is an associate professor at the University of Nevada, Reno where he teaches percussion, directs the University of Nevada, Reno Percussion Ensemble and Jazz Big Band 1. Heglund holds a doctor of arts degree in music from the University of Northern Colorado and a master's of music degree in jazz studies from the University of North Texas.
Since moving to the Reno-Tahoe area in 1996, Heglund has performed with jazz artists Lee Konitz, Cedar Walton, Bobby Hutcherson, Bud Shank, Ravi Coltrane, Robin Eubanks and Fred Hersch. He also performs with the University faculty quintet The Collective, The Reno Jazz Orchestra and the Ed Corey Trio. Heglund has played on four CDs with the Collective (North, Boats, Balance, Once and Again) and one CD with the Ed Corey Trio (Modal Citizen). He also performs with the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra and the Discover Music Percussion Ensemble. Recently, Heglund was percussion soloist with the University Wind Ensemble for their performance of Joseph Schwantner's Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra. Heglund is an active clinician/adjudicator in the Northern Nevada and Northern California areas and organizes the annual Northern Nevada Day of Percussion.
- Blue Trapezoid. The Collective. Release Date: 2019, ASIN: B07V5XFLFJ. Label: Tonegold Records.
- Once and Again. The Collective. Release Date: 2008, ASIN: B0019BFHIO.
- Balance. The Collective. Recorded July 22 & 23, 2005. Recording and Mixing Engineer: Tom Gordon. Mastered by George Horn at Fantasy Records. Release Date: 2006.
- Boats. The Collective. Release Date: 2003.
- North. The Collective. Label: The Collective. ASIN: B000OEB45W.
- Bassoon Surrounded. 20th Century Music for Bassoon & Percussion. Christin Schillinger, bassoon; Andrew Heglund, percussion; Albie Micklich, bassoon; Sharon Hickox, percussion. Label: MSR Classics.
- DA, music, University of Northern Colorado
- MM, jazz studies, University of North Texas