How to Join the Wolf Pack Marching Band
It only takes three easy steps to audition for the Wolf Pack Marching Band. Whatever your skill level, we have a place for you!
Step one: Apply for admission to the University of Nevada, Reno
- For incoming University of Nevada, Reno students: Applications for all majors can be accessed through the "Apply" section. (Music majors must also take a few additional steps).
- For non-University of Nevada, Reno students: If you attend community college, or ar not enrolled at the University, it's still possible for you to participate in the Wolf Pack Marching Band! Simply follow the steps for non-degree students at the Apply section. Contact Stephen Eubanks, Ph.D., if you have questions.
Step 2: Audition
- Prepare an audition which should include the following:
Chromatic scale (demonstrate as much of your range as possible)
C major scale (concert pitch, 2 octaves if possible)
A-flat major scale (concert pitch, 2 octaves if possible)
3 minutes of music (2 excerpts of music, one technical, one lyrical from etudes. These can come from solos, honor band auditions, or even your concert band music. We just want to hear you at your best!
Guard & Percussion
3 or 4 warm-up exercises
An excerpt from a show that you have performed recently
You may also include video of recent shows, if you are easily identified within the ensemble
Forward March at 80 beats/minute
Forward March at 160 beats/minute
Backward March at 80 beats/minute
Backward March at 160 beats/minute
Percussion: Demonstrate left and right slide at 160 beats/minute
- You can audition in person, or by submitting a video.
Live Audition Process
In person auditions take place at one of the official Department of Music Audition Days. Auditions are informal, and are primarily a way for the band staff to get acquainted with you.
Video Submission Process
- Record and submit your audition video. As you record your video(s), announce your name, instrument and high school.
- Complete the audition information form.
Step 3: Enroll in the class
All members of the Wolf Pack Marching Band are required to register for the course after acceptance to the University. Marching Band is a 1-credit class that rehearses Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 2-4 p.m., and is labeled MUSE 115 (lower division), MUSE 415 (upper division), or MUSE 615 (graduate division). Be sure to enroll in Marching Band when registering for your other classes to help avoid scheduling conflicts.
Request more information
Keep updated on auditions, important dates and other information. You do not need to be a high school senior to fill out an interest form! Please check all bands of interest on the bottom of the interest form.