Dr. Vahidi is an interdisciplinary researcher who has crossed traditional boundaries between metallurgical engineering and sustainability sciences. His research takes fundamental environmental engineering and translates this into applied settings, primarily in the mining and metallurgical industries. He has authored more than 20 peer-reviewed journal papers with over 700 citations.
About the John N. Butler Endowed Professorship in Extractive Metallurgy
Established with a gift from the estate of metallurgy professor John Butler, who served as chair of the Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering and Mining Engineering Department. Established: 1986. (Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering)
- Waste management and minimization
- Recycling and Recovery
- The circular economy
- Extractive metallurgy for critical materials
- Life cycle assessment (LCA) and techno-economic analysis (TEA)
MET 101: Introduction to Metallurgical Engineering
- Postdoctoral Associate, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2020.
- Ph.D., Environmental and Ecological Engineering, Purdue University, 2018.
- M.Eng., Environmental Engineering, University of South Florida, 2014.
- M.Sc., Metallurgical Engineering, University of Tehran, 2008.
- B.Sc., Metallurgical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 2005.
- Bailey, G., Joyce, P.J., Schrijvers, D., Schulze, R., Sylvestre, A.M., Sprecher, B., Vahidi, E., Dewulf, W. and Van Acker, K., 2020. Review and new life cycle assessment for rare earth production from bastnäsite, ion adsorption clays and lateritic monazite. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 155, p.104675.
- Li, Z., Diaz, L. A., Yang, Z., Jin, H., Lister, T. E., Vahidi, E., & Zhao, F. (2019). Comparative life cycle analysis for value recovery of precious metals and rare earth elements from electronic waste. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 149, 20-30.
- Vahidi, E., & Zhao, F. (2018). Assessing the environmental footprint of the production of rare earth metals and alloys via molten salt electrolysis. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 139, 178-187.
- Arshi, P. S., Vahidi, E., & Zhao, F. (2018). Behind the scenes of clean energy: the environmental footprint of rare earth products. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 6(3), 3311-3320.
- Thompson, V. S., Gupta, M., Jin, H., Vahidi, E., Yim, M., Jindra, M. A., ... & Reed, D. W. (2018). Techno-economic and life cycle analysis for bioleaching rare-earth elements from waste materials. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 6(2), 1602-1609.
- Vahidi, E., & Zhao, F. (2017). Environmental life cycle assessment on the separation of rare earth oxides through solvent extraction. Journal of environmental management, 203, 255-263.
- Dashti, S., Rashchi, F., Emamy, M., & Vahidi, E. (2017). The Influence of Anode Composition on Energy Consumption and Current Efficiency in Zinc Electrowinning. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 164(7), E166.
- Golmohammadzadeh, R., Rashchi, F., & Vahidi, E. (2017). Recovery of lithium and cobalt from spent lithium-ion batteries using organic acids: Process optimization and kinetic aspects. Waste Management, 64, 244-254.
- Vahidi, E., Jin, E., Das, M., Singh, M., & Zhao, F. (2016). Environmental life cycle analysis of pipe materials for sewer systems. Sustainable cities and society, 27, 167-174.
- Vahidi, E., Navarro, J., & Zhao, F. (2016). An initial life cycle assessment of rare earth oxides production from ion-adsorption clays. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 113, 1-11.
- Mirazimi, S. M. J., Rashchi, F., Vahidi, E., & Mostoufi, N. (2016). Optimization and dissolution kinetics of vanadium recovery from LD converter slag in alkaline media. Russian Journal of Non-Ferrous Metals, 57(5), 395-404.
- Kaufman Teaching & Learning Certificate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Teaching and Learning Lab, 2019.
- Mini-MBA, Applied Management Principles, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management, 2018.
Honors and awards
- Excellence in Review Award for 2018; Resources, Conservation, and Recycling Journal, February 2019.
- College of Engineering Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award; Purdue University, May 2018.
- Ecological Sciences and Engineering Outstanding Graduate Student in Research Award; Purdue University, April 2018.
- Hugh W. and Edna M. Donnan Dissertation Fellowship; Purdue University, July 2017.
- A.H. Ismail Interdisciplinary Program Doctoral Research Award; Purdue University, January 2018.
- Purdue College of Engineering Travel Award; Purdue University, October 2017.
- Andrews Environmental Research Award; Purdue University, February 2017.
- TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society) Travel Award; TMS 2016, February 2016.
- Blosser Environmental Research Award; Purdue University, January 2016.
- Lynn Fellowship; Purdue University, July 2014.
- ESE IGP Travel Award; Purdue University, February 2015
- Presidential Fellowship; University of South Florida, August 2011.