Advising Frequently Asked Questions

  • Why is academic advising important?

    The goal of academic advising is to assist students in meeting their educational goals in an efficient manner. While it is always up to you as a student to ensure you meet all applicable degree requirements, academic advisors can help you in understanding university policies and selecting the proper courses for you to take to graduate in a timely manner.

  • When should I see an academic advisor?
    • To help keep you on track for timely graduation, it is highly encouraged that you see an academic advisor regularly - at least twice per year - prior to enrolling for the following semester. (If you plan to have an advising session by Nevada Day during fall semester and by Spring Break during spring semester, you will avoid the "advising rush" and have time to consider scheduling options before registration begins.)
    • It is also recommended to consult with an advisor for any of the following situations: declaring or changing your major or minor, when considering dropping a class, or in preparation to study abroad.
    • Please note: New freshmen are required to be advised for their first three semesters of coursework. Incoming transfer students will also need to meet with a college advisor prior to enrolling in their first semester of courses at Nevada.
    • Students who are on academic probation or whose UNR GPA is below 2.00 must see a college advisor every semester while in this status.
  • Who is my academic advisor?

    Liberal Arts students have multiple advising contacts. Students have a faculty advisor for both their major and minor areas of study, and also have access to college advisors in the student center.

  • My advisor isn't available over the summer, who can help me with academic advising?

    The College of Liberal Arts student center provides professional advising throughout the year. The student center assists students at Summer Orientation, during the first year at the University, and again as a student approaches graduation. The student center also assists new transfer students with initial advising for their first semester at Nevada. To schedule an appointment with academic advisors in the student center, please call (775) 682-8745. The student center is located in the Thompson building, Room 101.

  • How do I access my Academic Advising Report (AAR)?

    Students can access their Academic Advising Report (AAR) via MyNevada — from the academics section of your Student Center Dashboard, choose “Academic Requirements” from the dropdown box. Your AAR contains all the requirements you need to graduate, so it is important to review this report with an advisor as you plan future courses.

  • I've heard about the "What-if Report," but what is it and why would I use it?

    The "What-if Report" provides a scenario for you to see how the coursework you have completed might be applicable (or not) in choosing a new major or minor. The "What-If Report" presents similarly to your AAR, so you can see the remaining requirements for your potential plan. Students can generate this report in MyNevada under the Academics section on the Student Center Dashboard. Note: Using the "What-if Report" does not officially change your major or minor - you should meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements and declare the plan.

  • What is the Breadth requirement?
    • It might help to think of the Breadth requirement as six credits of electives designed to broaden your exposure to the liberal arts. These courses need to be taken within liberal arts disciplines that are outside of your major and minor areas of study. Also, the courses may not overlap with other degree requirements. (Exception: Students on the Silver Core may use courses that satisfy CO's 9-14 for Breadth if such courses meet the other stipulations above.)
    • For example, if a student is majoring in English and minoring in Theatre, they can choose breadth courses from any other disciplines in the College of Liberal Arts (such as art, music, political science, sociology, history, philosophy, etc).
  • I've taken a Breadth course. Why doesn't it show on my advising report?
    • Students pursuing just two plans (a major and a single minor, or just two majors) will see coursework fill in the advising report automatically, only after both plans are included on the student record.
    • Students pursuing more than two plans (a major and two minors, two majors and a minor, etc.) or whose first major is not in the College of Liberal Arts will have this coursework filled in manually, only after CLA advisors submit an exception form to the Office of Admissions and Records on the student's behalf. If you are nearing graduation and believe you have taken courses that fulfill this requirement, send a list of these courses with your name and NSHE student ID# to the CLA advisors at

    If you have questions about Breadth courses, please contact Be sure to include your name, NSHE student ID#.

  • How do I fulfill the foreign language requirement?

    There are a number of ways to fulfill the foreign language requirement. Please consult with your academic advisor or the Department of World Languages and Literatures. (Please be aware of course prerequisites):

    • Complete a fourth semester (212 course) in a foreign language course.
    • Complete a fourth semester in American Sign Language (AM 148).
    • Show transcript evidence of successfully completing four years of the same foreign language in high school.
    • Demonstrate proficiency through a placement exam or other means through the Department of World Languages and Literatures.
    • Participate in and complete preapproved language courses in a study abroad program.
    • Languages offered at the University: American Sign Language, Arabic, Basque, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish.
  • Do I need a minor, and what minors can I choose?

    Most liberal arts majors require completion of a minor program of study. You can declare any of the minor programs offered by any college at the University. Generally, you cannot declare a major and minor in the same subject (see the General Catalog or consult an advisor for further information).

  • If I pursue a double major, do I need to complete a minor?
    • A multiple major is earned if a student wishes to major in multiple programs leading to the same degree name — for example, majors leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree. Students who earn a multiple major with at least one major under the College of Liberal Arts are required to fulfill all of the college's general requirements for a bachelor's degree except that a minor in a third area is optional. The minor will not be waived automatically. You will need to contact a college advisor to request the minor requirements be waived.
    • A multiple degree is earned if a student wishes to major in multiple programs leading to different degrees — for example, one major leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree and another major leading to a Bachelor of Science degree. Students who earn multiple degrees with at least one major under the College of Liberal Arts are required to fulfill all of the college's general requirements for a bachelor's degree except that a minor is optional. The minor will not be waived automatically. You will need to email a college advisor to request the minor requirements be waived.
  • How do I make it on the Dean's List?

    Students in the College of Liberal Arts who earn a 3.7 GPA in a semester (minimum of 12 graded credits required) will be on the Dean's List.

  • I'm getting ready to graduate. What do I need to do?
    • At least one semester prior to your intended graduation term, be sure to meet with a college advisor for a pre-graduation evaluation. The advisor will review your transcript and advising report with you to verify if you are eligible for graduation.
    • After registering for courses for your final semester, apply for graduation on MyNevada and pay the fee. (Application deadlines are October 1st for December graduation, March 1st for May graduation, and June 1st for August graduation.) Be sure all your contact information in MyNevada is up to date to ensure you will receive communications regarding graduation and the commencement ceremony.
    • If you missed the graduation application deadline or have other issues with your graduation status, please meet with a college advisor as soon as possible to discuss potential options.