Academic standing

Maintaining good academic standing

Each graduate course must be completed with a grade of "C" or better for the credit to be acceptable toward an advanced degree. Some departments, at their discretion, do not accept any grade lower than "B" for the fulfillment of graduate program requirements.

In addition, students must maintain good standing with an overall cumulative graduate credit GPA of at least 3.0 on a scale of 4.0. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to meet graduation eligibility.

GPA calculator


If the students cumulative grade-point total is between 2.99 and 2.31, the student is placed on probation. The student must then raise his/her cumulative graduate GPA to 3.0 by the end of the following semester or the student will be dismissed from graduate standing.


If the graduate grade-point total is 2.30 or lower, the student is dismissed from graduate standing, or if the graduate GPA remains below 3.0 for two (2) consecutive semesters, the student is dismissed from graduate standing.

Course grades will be included in the overall grade point average, even when the required time period to obtain a degree (6 years for a masters, and 8 years for a doctoral) has expired. Grades of "D" or "F" are included in the average. Probation/ dismissal recommendations based on GPA will be determined by the Graduate School. The student will be notified, and, if appropriate, the Office of Admissions and Records will also be notified that the student is dismissed from graduate standing.

A student dismissed from graduate standing because of grade-point deficiencies may only enroll as a graduate special in undergraduate courses. To enroll in graduate-level courses, advance written approval must be obtained from the course instructor, the department concerned and the Graduate School.

Dismissal recommendations other than GPA (i.e. failure to progress) can be forwarded from the program to the Graduate School and if approved by the Graduate Dean, the student will be notified. The Office of Admissions and Records will also be notified that the student is dismissed from graduate standing.

If a student is dismissed from graduate standing for reasons other than grade-point deficiencies, they may register for either graduate or undergraduate courses as a graduate special.

A student may reapply for graduate standing after elimination of the existing grade-point deficiency and achieving an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0. The student must re-file an application for admission to the Graduate School.

Students can appeal their dismissal from graduate standing by submitting a formal letter to the Dean of the Graduate School and to the Graduate Program Director. The letter must be submitted within 10 working days following notification of the dismissal.

View the Graduate School policies