Resources for undocumented and DACA students


This page contains general information and materials and should not be considered as legal advice. If you are looking for legal assistance with your personal immigration case please consult a licensed attorney who has experience working in immigration law or a Board of Immigration Appeals Accredited representative. Please contact the Social Services Coordinator who can help you find legal immigration assistance.

This page is a resource for all students, families, and faculty members who may need additional assistance in navigating on and off campus resources. If you need additional information or resources please complete the Student Care & Support Form for individualized campus support.

Academic support

The University of Nevada, Reno offers multiple degree programs but understanding the requirements for each program and balancing personal responsibilities may be overwhelming. There are academic advising for all majors, where they assist students in creating academic plans that best meet their study of interest.

Educational protections and benefits

The University of Nevada, Reno believes that our campus should be welcoming, safe and supportive for all students regardless of their immigration status, national origin, age, disability gender, disability, race, color, religion and veteran status. We encourage you to read more about the policies below to understand the educational rights of all students.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

 The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records and students identifying information. Learn more about FERPA at the University of Nevada, Reno

Financial aid

The University of Nevada, Reno offers institutional grants and scholarship opportunities based on merit or financial need for students who do not have the opportunity to apply for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additionally, non-FAFSA eligible students can apply for private scholarships. 

Mental health support

It is important to recognize the resiliency of undocumented students and continue to acknowledge the challenges impacting these student's mental health, self-esteem and well-being. The University strives in supporting all students and their unique challenges through supportive services. Below you will find on campus counseling services for students.

Legal support

The University of Nevada, Reno does not endorse or specifically recommend any resource. We encourage you to do additional research when looking for any legal help. We recommend you follow the toolkits at the bottom of this page to better assist you in finding reliable and legal assistance.

Northern Nevada immigration legal services (non-profit organizations)

Resources for educators

Immigrants Rising (formally known as Educator for Fair Consideration (E4FC)) provides a range of resources, scholarship information and toolkits for educators to support undocumented students and their families. You can learn more in their Resources for Educators website.

Frequently asked questions about DACA