Dr. Csank is a paleoclimatologist & paleoecologist with expertise in stable isotope geochemistry and dendrochronology. His primary research involves the use of stable isotope dendrochronology to reconstruct past climates in over-time periods ranging from the Pliocene to the Holocene. His work has examined reconstructions of temperature and precipitation in the Arctic, the response of trees to climatic change and reconstructions of large scale atmospheric patterns. Dr. Csank has also worked at the intersection of human and physical geography by working on historical projects to provenance timbers and to study historic timber trade patterns. In his research Dr. Csank worked in diverse settings both locally and internationally working in the Canadian Arctic, throughout the western US, including Alaska, as well as in eastern Canada, Bermuda, Jamaica and most recently Italy. On questions ranging from climate reconstructions to land use change to studies of drought and tree mortality.
Paleoclimatology, plant-climate interactions, stable isotope geochemistry, dendrochronology, ecohydrology, Arctic environmental change
- GEOG 103 Physical Geography of Earth’s Environments
- GEOG 321 Understanding Climate
- GEOG 435/635 Conservation of Natural Resources
- GEOG 437/637 Geography of Past Environments
- GEOG 701R Graduate seminar in Paleoclimatology
- Ph.D. Geosciences, University of Arizona 2011
- M.Sc. Geological Sciences, University of Saskatchewan 2006
- B.Sc. Earth Sciences, Dalhousie University 2003
- Csank, A.Z., Czimczik, C., Xu, X., Welker, J.M. (2019) Seasonal patterns of riverine carbon sources and export in NW Greenland. JGR-Biogeosciences, 124 (4), 840-856.
- Fletcher, T.L., Csank, A.Z., Ballantyne, A.P. (2019) Identifying bias in cold season temperature reconstructions by beetle mutual climatic range methods in the Pliocene Canadian Arctic. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 514, 672-676.
- Friedman, J.M., Stricker, C.A., Csank, A.Z., Zhou, H. (2019) Effects of age and environment on stable carbon isotope ratios in tree rings of riparian Populus. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 524, 25-32.
- Greer, K., Hemsworth, K., Csank, A.Z., Calvert, K. (2018) Interdisciplinary research on past environments through the lens of historical-critical physical geographies. Historical Geography 46 (1), 32-47.
- Csank, A.Z., Miller, A., Sherriff, R., Berg, E., Welker, J.W., (2016). Tree-ring isotopes reveal drought sensitivity in trees killed during south-central Alaska spruce beetle outbreaks. Ecological Applications. 26, 2001-2020.