Costs for first-year, out-of-state freshman students

You can afford a Nevada education

No student debt

More than 50 percent of students graduating leave with no student debt

Scholarships and grants

The total amount of scholarships and grants at the University is $87 million annually

WUE scholarships

If you're a new freshman from the Western U.S., you can save on your out-of-state tuition, allowing you to pay only 150% of our standard Nevada resident tuition.


2020-21 expenses for out-of-state freshman students

What expenses do you have to consider?

As a first-year student from another state at the University of Nevada, Reno, you may pay for tuition and fees, on-campus housing and meals. Personal expenses, transportation costs and books vary by student, but should be factored into your budget planning. For more information, you may review our undergraduate student budgets or use our Net Price Calculator for an idea of what costs may look like after considering financial aid.

Out-of-state (non-resident) undergraduate tuition costs
Expense Amount
Base tuition (30 credits per year) $22,922
Mandatory fees (per year) $1,098
On-campus housing and meals (per year) $10,300*
Books and supplies (per year) $1,000*
Total $35,320

*These are starting point estimates for budgeting purposes and may vary due to housing options, meal plan selections, course requirements and individual student needs.

An out-of-state education is more affordable than you think

At the University of Nevada, Reno, we believe access to education is critical to developing the next generation of leaders, thinkers and knowledge builders. Tuition should not serve as a deterrant to completing a college degree. If you're a first-year new student from the Western U.S., you can save on your out-of-state tuition.

  • University of Nevada, Reno Logo
    University of Nevada, Reno$10,485 (WUE)
  • University of California Logo
    University of California$14,000 (In-state tuition)$43,800 (Out-of-state tuition)
  • University of Oregon Logo
    University of Oregon$12,750 (In-state tuition)$36,615 (Out-of-state tuition)
  • University of Washington Logo
    University of Washington$11,465 (In-state tuition)$38,166 (Out-of-state tuition)

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

We are a proud participant in WUE, which allows students from participating states and territories to pay only 150% of our standard Nevada resident tuition. Participating areas include Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

Learn more about WUE


Applying for financial aid

To receive federal financial aid (grants, loans and Work Study) you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid each year. The FAFSA opens every October 1 and the University's priority filing date for institutional scholarships and grants is February 1.

Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply early.


Grants are need-based aid awarded to qualified undergraduate students demonstrating exceptional financial need. Grants do not have to be repaid as long as enrollment for the semester in which you receive the grant is maintained.


If grants, scholarships and family assistance do not cover the costs of attending college, you might consider loans. Though loan money must be repaid, federal loans typically offer the lowest interest rates. Learn more about loans and if they’re the right fit.

Work Study

Students eligible for need-based financial aid programs can participate in Work Study. This federally funded program helps students pay for college by working on or off campus. You must submit a FAFSA for consideration.

First-year scholarships


All new freshmen who would like to be considered for scholarships must complete the University’s Freshman Application for Scholarships and Awards and file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or the Institutional Methodology for Non-FAFSA Eligible Students form. You do not have to demonstrate financial need to receive a scholarship or award, but the FAFSA or Institutional Methodology form allows you to be considered for supplemental funding.

All new freshmen may be considered for scholarships. The general scholarship program is restricted to Nevada residents; however, other scholarship dollars may be available to non-residents.


Contact us

Office of Admissions & Records

(775) 784-4700

Financial Aid and Scholarships

(775) 784-4666