- Biofunctional & biohybrid materials
- Environmental remediation
- Corrosion science
- Surface analysis
- D. Chidambaram, Y. Liu and M. Rafailovich, ‘Encapsulated Microbes in Cross-linkable Polymers'–a process for encapsulating microorganisms in polymeric fibers while ensuring their survival to use them as bioactive materials, U.S. Patent US8367109 B2. Issued 02-05-2013
- D. Chidambaram and A. J. Francis, ‘Extracellular Bioreduction'–a process for bioremediation and wastewater treatment; U.S. Patent 8,158,399. Issued 2012-04-17.
- D. Chidambaram, ‘Enhanced Metabolite Generation'–a process for enhancing the production of biofuels and other microbial fermentation products; U.S. Patent 8,143,020. Issued 2012-03-20.