- August 2009–Present: Professor, Materials Science and Engineering. University of Nevada, Reno, NV
- October 2004–August 2009: Brookhaven National Laboratory. Upton, NY
- May 2009: Promoted to Associate Materials Scientist, effective October 2009
- October 2007–August 2009: Assistant Materials Scientist (Environmental Sciences)
- March 2007–August 2010: Spokesperson–Beamline X11, National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS)
- October 2004–September 2007: Goldhaber Distinguished Fellow (Environmental Sciences)
- February 2004–September 2004: Post-doctoral associate, Materials Science and Engineering. State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Relevant past experience
- Principal Investigator, co-PI, and senior researcher on a variety of projects relating to corrosion protection, bioenergy, development of novel materials, and environmental remediation
- Intellectual property development for applications of microbial electron transfer stemming from research conducted as PI at the Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2003
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2001
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2000
- B.Tech., Chemical and Electrochemical Engineering, Central Electrochemical Research Institute, India, 1998
Awards and fellowships
- Ormat Technologies Scholar of Materials and Interfaces: First Named Scholar at UNR in recognition of applied research contributions to industry. (July 2015 – date).
- Faculty Excellence Award – First recipient of the UNR College of Engineering Excellence Award for transformational contributions to the Department and the college. Award consists of a plaque and $5,000. (2013).
- The Hans-Jürgen Engell Prize–awarded annually by the International Society for Electrochemistry (ISE) to a young electrochemist on the basis of published work (Received September 2006).
- Goldhaber Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship (2004-2007)–Prestigious fellowship awarded by Brookhaven National Laboratory to select few recent doctoral graduates showing promise of qualifying for scientific staff position at the laboratory. (Three awarded in 2004).
- Morris Cohen Award–This award is given by the Electrochemical Society (ECS) in recognition of outstanding graduate research, conducted in the previous two years (2005).
- Lindau Nobel Laureates Foundation–Chosen to attend the 55th Meeting of the Nobel Laureates in Lindau, Germany. Nearly 600 young researchers were selected from over 10,000; nominations to attend the valuable and inspiring meeting. Over 50 Nobel laureates participated in the 2nd interdisciplinary meeting (2005).
- President's Distinguished Doctoral Dissertation Award–Highest recognition given by the State University of New York at Stony Brook signifying the outstanding merit of the dissertation and its research base (2004). Five outstanding dissertations receive the award (of dissertations accepted by the university in the preceding year) each year.
- Biofunctional & biohybrid materials
- Environmental remediation
- Corrosion science
- Surface analysis
- D. Chidambaram, Y. Liu and M. Rafailovich, ‘Encapsulated Microbes in Cross-linkable Polymers'–a process for encapsulating microorganisms in polymeric fibers while ensuring their survival to use them as bioactive materials, U.S. Patent US8367109 B2. Issued 02-05-2013
- D. Chidambaram and A. J. Francis, ‘Extracellular Bioreduction'–a process for bioremediation and wastewater treatment; U.S. Patent 8,158,399. Issued 2012-04-17.
- D. Chidambaram, ‘Enhanced Metabolite Generation'–a process for enhancing the production of biofuels and other microbial fermentation products; U.S. Patent 8,143,020. Issued 2012-03-20.