In a nutshell:
- Who: First-generation or from historically underrepresented background undergraduates completing their sophomore year or above with an overall 3.0 or higher GPA.
- What: A five-day, intensive academic preparation camp
- When: Monday, May 22nd, 2017 to Friday, May 26th, 2017
- Where: University of Nevada, Reno campus
- Why: A graduate degree can open the door to significant career opportunities. Our boot camp will introduce students to their options, graduate life, and aid students in developing competitive applications.
- No Cost to students: All costs are covered by the university—this includes program materials, lodging and meals for the five days.
- Application deadline: Saturday, April 15th, 2017, but priority will be given to those that apply before Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 (If applying remember to submit your unofficial transcript and a signed liability waiver on or before the posted deadline date along with your submitted application.)
- Schedule: Coming spring 2017
What is GradFIT?
Our five-day, intensive academic program is targeted for first-generation college students and students from historically underrepresented backgrounds who are completing either their sophomore year or above undergraduate education.
GradFIT introduces students to the opportunities, challenges and expectations of graduate school, as well as providing training and tips for the application process.
Participants will attend academic lectures, tour the campus and labs, meet with current graduate students, attend workshops to develop competitive applications, and learn about career choices afforded by a graduate education.
GradFIT participants will:
- Be introduced to the University of Nevada, Reno and learn about The Graduate School
- Attend faculty lectures and research outings
- Tour the campus and laboratories
- Take a workshop on preparing for the Graduate Record Exam
- Receive training on communicating with faculty advisors and writing a personal statement
- Learn about graduate assistantships, fellowships and other forms of financial aid for graduate students
- Have a panel discussion with current University graduate students
Outcomes for participants:
- Increased awareness of the opportunities afforded by a graduate education
- Preparation for graduate studies
- Elevated confidence and the ability to develop competitive applications
GradFIT is available for those interested in Master's and Doctoral programs such as:
- Hydrologic Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Public Health
- Social Psychology
- Social Work
- Public Health
- And Others
Requested documents:Below is a list of the requested documents needed to be submitted by email to email@example.com or by fax to (775) 784-6429 along with a submitted application in order for the application to be considered complete on or before March 1st, 2017 to receive priority. A link to the GradFIT liability waiver is provided below.
- Liability Waiver
- Unofficial Transcript
If you have additional questions about GradFIT, please contact Matthew Aguirre at firstname.lastname@example.org or (775) 682-6031.