Dr. M. Sami Fadali
Professor and Acting Chair
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering University of Wyoming, 1980
- M.S., Control Systems Center, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, 1977
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Cairo University, 1974
University of Nevada-Reno
- Professor 1995-Present
- Associate Professor 1989 to 1995
- Assistant Professor 1985-89
- Tenured 1991
Duties include teaching, funded research, graduate and undergraduate advising, Assessment Coordinator. Chair Department Curriculum Committee, Past: Graduate Student Coordinator and Chair of Graduate Admission Committee 1989-98, Member University Conflict of Interest Committee, Past Chair College Personnel Committee.
Colorado State University
- Post Doctoral Fellow, 1984-1985
Investigated problems in robotics, satellite maneuvering,biochemical process control and physiological system identification.
King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah
- Assistant Professor, 1981-1983
Duties included teaching, undergraduate advising and research. Participated in starting a new bioengineering program.
University of Wyoming
- Teaching Assistant, 1979-80
Taught several introductory electrical engineering labs.
Cairo Research Center
Participated in research on computer control of electrical machines.
Giza Systems, Consultants
Participated in the specification formulation for the communication system of the Egyptian Power Network.
- Fuzzy logic control
- Fault detection
- Renewable energy systems
- Random signals
- Mathematical modeling of biological systems
- Engineering education
Selected and recent publications
- S. Jafarzadeh, M. S. Fadali, C. Y. Evrenosoglu, "Solar power prediction using interval type-2 TSK modeling," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 333-339, April 2013.
- S. Jafarzadeh, M. S. Fadali, "On the Stability and Control of Continuous-Time TSK Fuzzy Systems," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man & Cybernetics-B, (accepted, to appear).
- S. Arabli, M. Ghofrani, M. Etezadi-Amoli, M. S. Fadali, "A Framework for Optimal Placement of Energy Storage Units within a Power System with High Wind Penetration," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, (accepted, to appear).
- S. Arabli, M. Ghofrani, M. Etezadi-Amoli, M. S. Fadali, and Y Baghzouz, "Genetic -Algorithm-Based Optimization Approach for Energy Management," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 162-170, Jan 2013.
- S. Jafarzadeh, C. Lascu, M. S. Fadali, "Square Root Unscented Kalman Filters for State Estimation of Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. on Industry Application, pp. 92-99, Jan/Feb 2013.
- Freshman: FORTRAN Programming, Introduction to Engineering
- Sophomore: Circuits, Computer Matrix Algebra
- Junior: Introduction to Linear Systems, Circuits & Systems, Classical Control
- Senior: Modern Control, Digital Control
- Linear Systems
- Optimal Control
- Nonlinear Control
- Robust Control
- Robotics Seminar
- Neural Networks Seminar
- Neural Networks
- Random Signals Seminar
- Random Signals & Estimation
- Estimation Theory
- Fault Detection
- Signal Detection