- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering University of Wyoming, 1980
- M.S., Control Systems Center, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, 1977
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Cairo University, 1974
M. Sami Fadali earned a BS in Electrical Engineering from Cairo University in 1974, an MS from the Control Systems Center, UMIST, England, in 1977 and a Ph. D. from the University of Wyoming in 1980. He was an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of King Abdul Aziz in Jeddah , Saudi Arabia 1981-1983. From 1983-85, he was a Post Doctoral Fellow at Colorado State University. In 1985, he joined the Electrical Engineering Dept. at the University of Nevada, Reno, where he is currently Professor of Electrical Engineering. In 1994 he was a visiting professor at Oakland University and GM Research and Development Labs. He spent the summer of 2000 as a Senior Engineer at TRW, San Bernardino. His research interests are in the areas of fuzzy logic stability and control, state estimation and fault detection, and applications to power systems, renewable energy, and physiological systems.
University of Nevada-Reno
- Professor 1995-Present
- Associate Professor 1989 to 1995
- Assistant Professor 1985-89
- Tenured 1991
Duties include teaching, funded research, graduate and undergraduate advising, Assessment Coordinator. Chair Department Curriculum Committee, Past: Graduate Student Coordinator and Chair of Graduate Admission Committee 1989-98, Member University Conflict of Interest Committee, Past Chair College Personnel Committee.
Colorado State University
- Post Doctoral Fellow, 1984-1985
Investigated problems in robotics, satellite maneuvering,biochemical process control and physiological system identification.
King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah
- Assistant Professor, 1981-1983
Duties included teaching, undergraduate advising and research. Participated in starting a new bioengineering program.
University of Wyoming
- Teaching Assistant, 1979-80
Taught several introductory electrical engineering labs.
Cairo Research Center
- Engineer, 1975
Participated in research on computer control of electrical machines.
Giza Systems, Consultants
- Engineer, 1974-75
Participated in the specification formulation for the communication system of the Egyptian Power Network.
- Fuzzy logic control
- Fault detection
- Renewable energy systems
- Random signals
- Mathematical modeling of biological systems
- Engineering education
- Two international projects funded by NSF in collaboration with the Egyptian National Research Center
Arabic, English, Spanish, French
- Freshman: FORTRAN Programming, Introduction to Engineering
- Sophomore: Circuits, Computer Matrix Algebra
- Junior: Introduction to Linear Systems, Circuits & Systems, Classical Control
- Senior: Modern Control, Digital Control
- Linear Systems
- Optimal Control
- Nonlinear Control
- Robust Control
- Robotics Seminar
- Neural Networks Seminar
- Neural Networks
- Random Signals Seminar
- Random Signals & Estimation
- Estimation Theory
- Fault Detection
- Signal Detection
Selected and recent publications
- M.Majidi, M.S.Fadali, M.Etezadi-Amoli, and M.Oskuoee, "Partial Discharge Pattern Recognition via Sparse Representation and ANN," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation.2014.In Press
- M. S. Fadali and S. Jafarzadeh, "TSK Observers for Type-1 and Type-2 Fuzzy Systems," IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems,Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 451-458, April 2014.
- S. Jafarzadeh, M. S. Fadali, C. Y. Evrenosoglu, "Solar power prediction using interval type-2 TSK modeling," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 333-339, April 2013.
- S. Arabli, M. Ghofrani, M. Etezadi-Amoli, M. S. Fadali, "A Framework for Optimal Placement of Energy Storage Units within a Power System with High Wind Penetration," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, (accepted, to appear).
- S. Arabli, M. Ghofrani, M. Etezadi-Amoli, M. S. Fadali, and Y Baghzouz, "Genetic -Algorithm-Based Optimization Approach for Energy Management," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 162-170, Jan 2013.
- S. Jafarzadeh, C. Lascu, M. S. Fadali, "Square Root Unscented Kalman Filters for State Estimation of Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. on Industry Application, pp. 92-99, Jan/Feb 2013.
- Hyun Cheol Cho and Sami M. Fadali, "Nonlinear Network-induced Time Delay Systems with Stochastic Learning," IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 19, No. 4, July 2011, pp. 843-851.