Vladimir Pravosudov, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Zoology, Ohio State University, Columbus, 1997
- M.S., Zoology, Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) State University, Russia, 1983
Research in my lab broadly focuses on Animal Behavior and Behavioral Ecology with special emphasis on animal cognition. We generally use interdisciplinary approaches by bridging evolutionary and mechanistic perspectives on behavior. Proximate mechanisms underlying behavioral traits may be better understood when placed within the evolutionary context and, equally, evolution of behavioral traits may be better understood knowing specific underlying mechanisms.
Most of our recent work has focused on investigating adaptive variation in cognition and the brain. We concentrated our research efforts specifically on spatial memory and the hippocampus, a brain structure involved in spatial memory and used food-caching birds as our model. Our goal has been to identify specific environmental features that may influence selection on memory and to investigate whether selection on memory resulted in enhanced memory associated with specific changes in hippocampal structure and neural processes.
- Freas, C. A., LaDage, L. D., Roth II, T. C., and Pravosudov, V. V. 2012. Elevation-related differences in memory and the hippocampus in mountain chickadees (Poecile gambeli). Animal Behaviour, In Press.
- Roth, T.C., Gallagher, C., LaDage, L. D., and Pravosudov, V. V. 2012. Variation in brain regions associated with fear and learning in contrasting climates. Brain, Behavior and Evolution, In Press.
- Roth II, T. C., LaDage, L. D., Pravosudov, V. V. 2012.Evidence for long-term spatial memory in a parid. Animal Cognition, 15: 149-154.
- Roth II, T. C., LaDage, L. D., Freas, C., Pravosudov, V. V. 2012. Variation in memory and the hippocampus across populations with different climates: a common garden approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 279: 402-410.
- Barnea, A., Pravosudov, V. V. 2011. Birds as a model to study adult neurogenesis: bridging evolutionary, comparative and neuroethological approaches. European Journal of Neuroscience, 34: 884-907.
- Roth II, T. C., LaDage, L. D., Pravosudov, V. V. 2011.Variation in hippocampal morphology along an environmental gradient: controlling for the effect of day length. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 278: 2662-2667.
- Rattenborg, N. C., Martinez-Gonzalez, D., Roth II, T. C., Pravosudov, V. V. 2011. Hippocampal memory consolidation during sleep: a comparison of mammals and birds. Biol. Rev. 86: 658-691.
- Chancellor, L. V., Roth, T. C., LaDage, L. D., Pravosudov, V. V. 2011. The effect of environmental harshness on neurogenesis: a large scale comparison. Developmental Neurobiology 71: 246-252.
- LaDage, L., Roth, T. C., Pravosudov, V. V. 2011. Hippocampal neurogenesis is associated with migratory behavior in adult but not juvenile white-crowned sparrows (Zonotrichia leucophrys ssp.). Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 278: 138-143.
- Roth II, T. C., LaDage, L., Pravosudov, V. V. 2010. Learning capabilities enhanced in harsh environments: a common garden approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 277:3187-3193. (Highlighted in Nature: 'Colder is cleverer', Nature, 2010, 465: 669).