Chinese Language and Culture program
The World Languages and Literatures Department at the University of Nevada, Reno has received a grant from STARTALK, a project funded by the National Security Agency and administered by the National Foreign Language Center, to fund a three-week summer Chinese program for 30 local middle school and high school students (grades 7-12). There will be two proficiency levels for students with no Chinese language background and students who have studied Chinese before.
About the Chinese Language and Culture program
Students will study the customs and legend of Chinese New Year as well as relate to their own lives in a variety of activities in the target language. Students will follow the simplified storyline of "Nian," the legend from Chinese New Year, create dialogues and narratives appropriate to their age and level of language proficiency and present a mini-drama in Chinese. Students will also give presentations to compare their own culture to that of Chinese through the theme. In addition, to applying knowledge of Chinese in the real world, students will interact with native speakers for hands-on cultural activities such as New year's traditional handcrafts, cooking, as well as Kungfu, where the native speakers will demonstrate and guide the students to practice the cultural content in the target language.
- 9-9:50 a.m. Chinese Period I (opening activities)
- 9:50-10:00 a.m. break
- 10:00-10:50 a.m. Chinese Period II
- 11:00-11:50 a.m. Chinese Period III
- 12-1:00 p.m. lunch and short conversations in the target language on the topics of the day
- 1-1:50 p.m. Chinese Period IV
- 1:50-2:00 p.m. break
- 2:00-3:00 p.m. Chinese Period IV (closing activities)
Time, place and cost
Program starts Monday, June 10 and ends Friday, June 28, 2019
University of Nevada, Reno campus
Cost is free. Lunch and snacks are provided.
- Program Director: Cassie Isabelli, Chair of the World Languages and Literatures Department
- Lead Instructor: Lin Li Hall, Chinese Lecturer and Chinese Language Program Director