ASUN service-learning faculty award
Each year, this award recognizes one instructor who has demonstrated exemplary integration of academic service-learning in their courses. The award winner will be honored at the Honor the Best ceremony in May with a plaque and award check of $500, less applicable taxes.
To qualify for the award, the nominee:
- Must be an academic or administrative faculty, LOA, or contingent faculty on appointment with the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Must have taught a designated service-learning course.
A nominee must demonstrate:
- Exemplary, and often innovative, integration of academic service-learning in their courses.
- Demonstrated an awareness of the community partner’s needs and was able to balance service-learning activities with course and student objectives.
- Used critical reflection to help students process and learn from their service-learning experiences.
- Designed an academically relevant service-learning experience for students to gain:
- Further understanding of course content
- A broader appreciation of the discipline/s
- An enhanced understanding of civic engagement
A completed nomination form must be submitted by March 5, which includes a summary of how the nominee’s work qualifies them for nomination based on the above qualifications.
- 2021 – Christopher L. von Nagy, Ph.D. – Head, Shared History
- 2020 – Jenna Dewar, M.S., C.F.L.E. – Senior Lecturer, Human Development and Family Studies