After nearly a decade of working in wildlife biology I decided to shift my research focus from wildlife conservation and physiology to human health. Most wildlife problems today are symptoms of human behavior and I believe that physical and emotional health are essential to altering destructive and dissociative human behaviors. My research interests are broad but include the interfaces of mental and physical health, topics related to traumatic experiences (e.g. denial, recovery and resiliency, and impacts to physical health), and alternative therapies that promote human health while fostering a healthier connection to the environment (e.g. gardening, creative arts rooted in upcycling, and environmentally-based service learning).
- Dr. Wei Yang
- Dr. Kristen Clements-Nolle
- Dr. Paul Devereux
- Graduate Student Association Travel Award, University of Nevada Reno (2020)
- Professional Development Grant, Albright Wirth Grant Program, National Park Service (2017)
- Best Oral Presentation, Graduate Student Research Symposium, Virginia Tech (2015)
- The Floyd L. English Natural Sciences Scholarship, California State University, Chico, CA (2010, 2009)
- The Vesta Holt Field Merit Award, California State University, Chico, CA (2009)
- George E. Corson Scholarship, California State University, Chico, CA (2009)
- 2008-2009 Outstanding Student Leader, College of Natural Sciences, California State University, Chico
- Von Bartheld, C., Hagen, M., & Rafal. (2021). The D614G virus mutation enhances anosmia in COVID-19 patients: Evidence from a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies from South Asia. ACS Chemical Neuroscience.
- G Weller, M Biondi, A Allen, M Rescigno, J Resnik, S Laughton, K Warner, A Hierholzer, E Kim, M Hagen, A McFarland, R Danko. High School Health Education: The Impact of Medical Student Led Instruction in Northern Nevada High Schools. Journal of Preventative Medicine, 24(2021): 101512
- M. Hagen, S. Hartzell, and P. Devereux. Social Media Use and COVID-19: A Cross-Sectional Study Examining Health Behaviors, Knowledge, and Mental Health Among University of Nevada, Reno Students. Health Behavior Research, 4(2): Art.8. https://doi.org/10.4148/2572-1836.1100.
- S. Hartzell, M. Hagen, and P. Devereux Disproportionate Impacts of COVID-19 on University Students in Underrepresented Groups: A Mixed Methods Survey to Assess Needs and Hear Student Voices. Journal of Higher Education Management, 36(1), 142-151.
- C. Lacasa, T. Rayner, M. Hagen, W. Yang, K. Marks, and B. Kirkpatrick. Anti-Cyomegalovirus Antibodies in Schizophrenia and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Schizophrenia Research 228(2021): 322-323.
- C Von Bartheld, M. Hagen, and R. Butowt. Prevalence of chemosensory dysfunction in COVID-19 patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis reveals significant ethnic differences. ACE Chemical Neuroscience 11(19): 2944-2961.
- B. Beutler, M. Ulanja, R. Krishan, V. Aluru, M. Ndukwu, M. Hagen, Z. Dupin, C. Willyard, A. Moody, K. Boampong-Konam, and S. Zell. Sociodemographic Characteristics as Predictors of Outcomes in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Cancer Control. 2020 Jan-Dec;27(1):1073274820956615.
- T Kuhn, W Willis, J Baccei, H Huppe, M Thompson, M Marschall, F Ratcliff, P Hopkinson, and J Bartolome. Management tools and framework for pack stock use and meadow monitoring in Yosemite Wilderness. Natural Resource Report NPS/YOSE/NRR-2018/1591. National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- M Thompson, B Hopkins, D Crossley II, D Cristol, R Andrews, W Hopkins. Agricultural land use creates evolutionary traps for nesting turtles and is exacerbated by mercury pollution. Journal of Experimental Zoology Part A: Ecological and Integrative Physiology. https://doi.org/10.1002/jez.2198.
- M Thompson, B Hopkins, D Crossley II, D Cristol, R Andrews, W Hopkins. Major global changes interact to cause male-biased sex ratios in a reptile with temperature-dependent sex determination. Biological Conservation 222(2018):64-74.
- M Thompson, B Hopkins, J Congdon, D Stauffer, W Hopkins. Nesting ecology & habitat use of aquatic turtles ( Chelydra serpentina) in an area modified by agricultural & industrial activity. Journal of Herpetological Conservation and Biology 12(2017): 292-306.
- M Beck, M Thompson, W Hopkins. Repeatability and sources of variation of the bacteria-killing assay in the common snapping turtle. Journal of Experimental Zoology Part A: Ecological and Integrative Physiology, 327(5): 293-301.
- B Peoples, M Thompson, B Murphy. The journey of matriculation: a tool for developing learning through reflection. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching & Learning Journal 9(2):1-4.
2023 (anticipated) PhD in Public Health with specialization in Epidemiology
2017 MS in Wildlife Conservation, Virginia Tech
2010 BS in Biological Sciences, University of California, Chico