Paul Devereux' scholarship explores social and behavioral determinants on health and well-being. Specific research topics include community-based approaches to cancer screening interventions, social support in diverse populations such as people with disabilities and parenting adolescents, and emotional health in older adults.
Selected recent publications
* = student, ^ = community co-author
- Devereux, P.G., Miller, M., & Kirshenbaum, J.* (In press). Moral disengagement, locus of control, and belief in a just world: Individual differences relate to adherence to COVID-19 guidelines. Personality and Individual Differences.
- Snider, K.,* Devereux, P.G., & Miller, M. (In press). Judges’ emotion: An application of the Emotion Regulation Process Model. Psychiatry, Psychology, and Law.
- Hartzell, S.*, Hagen, M.*, & Devereux, P.G. (In press). Disproportionate impacts of COVID-19 on university students in underrepresented groups: A quantitative and qualitative descriptive study to assess needs and hear student voices. Journal of Higher Education Management.
- Hagen, M.*, Hartzell, S.*, & Devereux, P.G. (In press). Social media use and COVID-19: A cross-sectional study examining health behaviors, knowledge, and mental health among University of Nevada, Reno students. Health Behavior Research.
- Wright, K.,* Lucero, J., Ferguson, J., Granner, M., Devereux, P.G., Pearson, J., & Crosbie, E. (2021). The influence of cultural food security on cultural identity and well-being: A qualitative comparison between second-generation American and international students in the United States. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, https://doi.org/10.1080/03670244.2021.1875455
- Wright, K.,* Lucero, J., Ferguson, J., Granner, M., Devereux, P.G., Pearson, J. & Crosbie, E. (2021). The impact that cultural food security has on identity and well-being in the second generation U.S. American minority college students. Food Security. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-020-01140-w
- Travers, C.S.*, Devereux, P.G. & Yang, W. (2020). Prevalence and screening of intimate partner violence and association with neonatal low birth weight. Journal of Family Violence. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10896-020-00203-y
- Daftary, A.M., Devereux, P.G., & Elliott, M. (2020) Discrimination, depression, and anxiety among college women in the Trump era. Journal of Gender Studies, DOI: 10.1080/09589236.2020.1767546
- Devereux, P.G., Johnson, L., & Kerwin, H. (2019). Colorectal cancer screening barriers and recommendations for successful interventions: Insights from a local Hispanic community. Nevada Journal of Public Health, 1, 1-14.
- Devereux, P.G., Gray, J., Robinson, S., Galvin, J., & Gutierrez, J. (2019). Using community engagement methods and navigators to increase colon cancer screening uptake and patient outcomes. Health Promotion Practice, 20(1), 85-93. doi: 10.1177/1524839918757485
- Etopio, A.,* Devereux, P.G., & Crowder, M. (2018). Perceived campus safety as a mediator of the link between gender and mental health in a national U.S. college sample. Women & Health 59(7), 703-717, doi: 10.1080/03630242.2018.1549646
- Gibb, Z.G., & Devereux, P.G. (2016). Missing Links: Exploring Repetition and Intentionality of Distress of Cyberbullying Behaviors Within a College Population. Translational Issues in Psychological Science, 2(3), 313-322. doi.org/10.1037/tps0000083
- Devereux, P.G., Heffner, K., Doane, M., Gosser, B. & Nolan, M. (2016). Identifying attentional deployment tactics in older adults’ written narratives about emotionally upsetting events. Journal of Health Psychology, 21(10), 2247-2258. doi: 10.1177/1359105315573444
- Devereux, P.G., Bullock, C.C., Gibb, Z.G., & Himler, H. (2015). Social-ecological influences on interpersonal support in people with physical disability. Disability and Health Journal 8, 564-572.
- Gibb, Z.G. & Devereux, P.G. (2014). Who does that anyway? Predictors and personality correlates of cyberbullying in college. Computers in Human Behavior 38, 8-16.
- Heffner, K., Devereux, P.G., Ng, H.M., & Borchardt, A.R. (2013). Older adults’ hemodynamic responses to an acute emotional stressor: Short report. Experimental Aging Research, 39(2), 162-178.
- Devereux, P.G. & Bullock, C.C. (2011). Disability content in social and behavioral dimensions of health. In D.J. Lollar & E.M. Anderson (Ed.), Public Health Perspectives on Disability: Epidemiology to ethics and beyond (pp. 55-79). Springer Publisher.
- Devereux, P.G., Weigel, D., Ballard-Reisch, D., Leigh, G., & Cahoon, K.L*. (2009). Immediate and longer-term connections between support and stress in pregnant/parenting and non-pregnant/non-parenting adolescents. Child & Adolescent Social Work Journal, 26, 431-446.
- Devereux, P.G., Clements-Nolle, K. D., Clodfelter, S., Bargmann-Losche, J.*, Feroro, M.^, & Yang, W.^ (2007). HIV-positive inmates released from Nevada's prisons in 2001: Results from matching Health Division and Corrections Databases. Journal of the Nevada Public Health Association, 4, 1-16.
- Devereux, P.G., & Heffner, K. (2007). Psychophysiological approaches to the study of laughter: Towards an integration with positive psychology. In A. D. Ong & M. Van Dulmen (Eds.). Handbook of Methods in Positive Psychology (pp. 223-249). Oxford Publisher.
- Devereux, P.G., Bullock, C.C., Bargmann-Losche, J.* & Kyriakou, M.* (2005). Maintaining support in people with disability: What works? Qualitative Health Research, 15(10), 1360-1376.
- Devereux, P.G., Whitley, R.^, & Ragavan, A.* (2002). Discharge planning for male inmates with HIV: Can it help increase adherence to medical treatment and lower recidivism? Corrections Today, 64(6), 127-129.
- Spoon M., Devereux P.G., Benedict J., Leontos C., Constantino N., Christy D., & Snow G. (2002). Usefulness of the Food Habits Questionnaire in a worksite setting. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 34, 268-272.
- Devereux, P.G., & Ginsburg, G.P. (2001). Sociality effects on the production of laughter. Journal of General Psychology, 128(2), 227-240.
- Weigel, D., Devereux, P.G., Leigh, G.K., & Ballard-Reisch, D. (1998). A longitudinal study of adolescents’ perceptions of support and stress: Stability and change. Journal of Adolescent Research, 13(2), 158-177.
- Co-PI (with James Kenyon). Colon Cancer Screening Patient Navigator Program Evaluation ($680,000.00). IDeA Network for Biomedical Research Excellence Grant Sponsored by NIH/National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Supplement Award (2009-2011).
- Co-PI. A Community-Based Participatory Research Approach to Colorectal Cancer Screening in Latino Populations. ($70,500). Community Engagement Project as part of the NIH's National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) IDeA Network for Biomedical Excellence (INBRE) Award (2010-2011).
- PI (with Kristen Clements-Nolle). Health Status of Inmates ($60,000). Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Grant thru the Nevada State Health Division (2004).
- Co-PI (with Charles Bullock). Examining Social Support Among Persons Experiencing Paralysis ($199,752). Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine (ATPM) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2001-2004).
- PI (with Kathi Heffner, and Gerald Ginsburg). Social Support, Disclosure, and Cardiovascular Response to Stress in Older Adults ($72,150). National Institute on Aging (NIA) R03 grant. (2001-2003).
- PI. Evaluation of Discharge Planning of Inmates with HIV ($44,384). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) thru the State of Nevada Health Division. (2001-2002).
- Ph.D. in Social Psychology, University of Nevada, Reno (1998)
- B.S. Psychology/Biology, Northern Arizona University (1988)
- M.P.H. Community Health Education, San Jose State University (2010)