Michelle Granner’s research focuses on physical activity, sedentary, and nutrition behaviors. Her research includes understanding and promoting health behaviors, the influence of the built environment on behavior, and community approaches. Other research interests include women’s health, health communication, mindfulness, evaluation, and community-based participatory research. She is currently a co-investigator on a USDA-funded grant to evaluate a national media campaign promoting breastfeeding among women who participate in the WIC program.
- Tung WC, Lu M, Granner ML, Sohn J. Demographics, Self-efficacy, Benefits/Barriers, Stages of Adopting Pap Testing among Korean American women. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2019; 39(4):510-515.
- Tung WC, Lu M, Granner ML, Sohn J. Assessing Perceived Benefits/Barriers and Self-efficacy for Cervical Cancer Screening among Korean American Women. Health Care for Women International 2017; 38(9): 945-955.
- Tung WC, Granner M, Lu M, Qiu X. Predictors of cervical cancer screening for Chinese American women. European Journal of Cancer Care 2017; 26(4): e12552.
- Tung WC, Lu M, Granner M. Perceived benefits and barriers of cervical cancer screening among Chinese American women. Oncology Nursing Forum 2017; 44(2): 247-254.
- Wilcox S, Sharpe PA, Turner-McGrievy G, Granner M, Baruth M. Frequency of consumption at fast-food restaurants is associated with dietary intake in overweight and obese women recruited from financially disadvantaged neighborhoods. Nutrition Research 2013; 33(8): 636-646.
- Granner ML, Evans AE. Measurement properties of several psychosocial and family environmental measures related to fruit and vegetable intake among middle school adolescents. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2012; 44(1): 2-11.
- Wilcox S, Shape PA, Parra-Medina D, Granner M, Hutto B. A Randomized Trial of a Diet and Exercise Intervention for Overweight and Obese Women from Economically Disadvantaged Neighborhoods: Sisters Taking Action for Real Success (STARS). Contemporary Clinical Trials 2011; 32(6): 931-945.
- Granner ML, Evans AE. Variables associated with fruit and vegetable intake in adolescents. American Journal of Health Behavior 2011;35(5): 591-602.
- Granner ML, *Mburia-Mwalili A. Correlates of television viewing among African American and Caucasian women. Women & Health 2010; 50(8): 783-794.
- Granner ML, Sharpe PA, Burroughs E, Fields R, Hallenbeck J. Newspaper content analysis in evaluation of a community-based participatory project to increase physical activity. Health Education Research 2010; 25(4): 656-667.
- Sharpe PA, Burroughs, EL, Granner ML, Wilcox S, Hutto BE, Bryant CA, Peck L, Pekuri L. Impact of a Community-Based Prevention Marketing intervention to promote physical activity among middle-aged women. Health Education and Behavior 2010; 37(3): 403-423.
- Sharpe, PA, Granner ML, Hutto B, Peck L, Wilcox S, Addy CL. Correlates of physical activity among African American and Caucasian women. American Journal of Health Behavior 2008; 32(6):701-713.
- Peck LE, Burroughs EL, Sharpe PA, Granner ML. Recruitment Strategies and Costs for a Community-Based Physical Activity Program. Health Promotion Practice 2008; 9(2): 191-198.
- Hutto B, Sharpe PA, Granner ML, Addy CL, Hooker SP. Effect of question order on reporting PA and walking behavior. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2008; 15(1s):s16-s29.
- Sharpe PA, Williams HG, Granner ML, Hussey JR. A randomized study of the effects of massage therapy compared to guided relaxation on well-being and stress perception among older adults. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2007; 15(3):157-163.
- Granner ML, Sharpe PA, Hutto B, Wilcox S, Addy CL. Perceived Individual, Social, and Environmental Factors for Physical Activity and Walking. Journal of Physical Activity and Health; 2007; 4(3):278-293.
- Sharpe PA, Granner ML, Conway J, Ainsworth BE, *Dobre M, Burroughs EL. Availability of weight-loss supplements: Results from an audit of retail outlets in a southeastern city, SC. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 2006; 106(12): 2045-2051.
- Burroughs E, Peck LE, Sharpe PA, Granner ML, Bryant CA, Fields R. Using focus groups in the consumer research phase of a social marketing program to promote moderate intensity physical activity. Preventing Chronic Disease; 2005; 3(1).
- *Paxton RJ, Sharpe PA, Granner ML, Hutto B. Association of sociodemographic variables and community environment to use of public parks and trails for physical activity. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education; 2005; 43(4):108-116.
- Wilcox S, Sharpe PA, Hutto B, Granner ML. Psychometric properties of the Self-Efficacy for Exercise Questionnaire in a diverse sample of men and women. Journal of Physical Activity and Health; 2005; 2(3):285-297.
- Sharpe PA, Granner ML, Hutto B, Ainsworth BE, Cook A. Association of body mass index to meeting physical activity recommendations. American Journal of Health Behavior 2004;28(6):522-530.
- Granner ML, Sargent RG, Calderon KS, Hussey JR, Evans AE, Watkins KW. Factors of fruit and vegetable intake by race, gender, and age among young adolescents. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2004;36(4):173-180.
- Granner ML, Sharpe PA. Monitoring physical activity: uses and measurement issues with automated counters. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2004;1:131-141.
- Granner ML, Sharpe PA. Evaluating community coalition or partnership functioning: A summary of measurement tools. Health Education Research 2004; 19(5):514-532.
- Sharpe PA, Granner ML, Hutto B, Ainsworth BE. Association of environmental factors to meeting physical activity recommendations in two counties in South Carolina. American Journal of Health Promotion 2004;18(3):251-257.
- Granner ML, Black DR, Abood DA. Levels of cigarette and alcohol use related to eating disorder attitudes. American Journal of Health Behavior 2002;26(1):43-55.
- Sharpe PA, Vaca V, Granner ML, Greaney ML, Sargent R, Rheaume C. Body size perceptions and preferences of older African-American women. Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly 2001;21(2):39-56.
- Granner ML, Liguori G, Kirkner GJ, Ainsworth BA. Health care provider counseling for physical activity among black and white South Carolinians. Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association 2001;97(8):338-341.
- Granner ML, Abood DA, Black DR. Racial differences in eating disorder attitudes, cigarette, and alcohol use. American Journal of Health Behavior 2001;25(2):83-99.
- PhD, Public Health; Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior, University of South Carolina
- MS, Nutrition and Food Sciences, Florida State University
- BA, Kinesiology, University of Colorado