- Ph.D. in Epidemiology from the University of California, Berkeley
- MPH in Behavioral Sciences from the University of California, Berkeley
Dr. Clements-Nolle's research focuses on social and psychological factors that contribute to and mitigate poor health outcomes across the lifespan. Much of her current research focuses on understanding the impact of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) on a range of adolescent health outcomes. Grounded in positive youth development, she also investigates whether internal resilience and external youth assets can buffer the impact of ACEs on behavioral health outcomes. She is currently the PI on a project designed to evaluate a Systems of Care approach for children and youth with serious emotional disturbances (funded by SAMHSA), the Co-PI for the Nevada Youth Risk Behavior Survey (funded by CDC and the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health), and Co-I on study that aims to evaluate whether recreational cannabis legalization in Nevada, including cannabis dispensary and outdoor advertising density, is associated with changes in cannabis use among secondary school students (funded by NIH).
* primary advisor or mentor for student author
** student author
- *Lensch, T., Clements-Nolle, K., Oman, R., & Lu, M. (Accepted, 2019). A longitudinal study of the protective influence of youth assets on juvenile arrest. Journal of Public Health.
- Clements-Nolle, K., Oman, R., Lu, M., *Lensch, T., & **Moser, L. (2019). Youth assets and alcohol-related problems among male and female youth: Results from a longitudinal cohort study. Preventive Medicine, 123, 192-196.
- Clements-Nolle, K., & **Waddington, R. (2019). Adverse childhood experiences and emotional distress among juvenile offenders: The protective influence of internal resilience and youth assets. Journal of Adolescent Health, 64(1), 49-55.
- *Lensch, T., Clements-Nolle, K., Oman R.F., Lu, M., & **Dominguez, A. (2019). The prospective impact of individual, family, and community youth assets on adolescent suicide ideation. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 73(3), 219-224.
- **Yang, M., Clements-Nolle, K., and Yang, Y. (2019). Adolescent Concussion and Mental Health Outcomes: A Population-Based Study. American Journal of Health Behavior, 43(2), 258-265.
- Fu, Y., Burns, R. D., Clements-Nolle, K., & Yang, W. (2019). Associations between selected dietary behaviors and physical activity in adolescents. Health Behavior and Policy Review, 6(1), 79-87.
- Oman, R. F., *Lensch, T., Amroussia, N., Clements-Nolle, K., Lu, M., & Yang, Y. (2019). The revised youth asset survey (YAS-R). American Journal of Health Promotion, 33(1), 292-296.
- Li, Y., Yuan, Z., Clements-Nolle, K., Yang, W. (2018). Sexual orientation and depressive symptoms among high school students in Jiangxi province. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 30(7), 635-643.
- Li, C., Yuan, Z., Clements-Nolle, K., Fu., L., Deadmond, M, Yang, W. (2018). Physical activity and overweight/obesity among academically stressed adolescents. Biostatistics and Epidemiology International Journal, 1(2), 40‒46.
- Burns, R.D., Fu, Y., Brusseau, T.A., Clements-Nolle, K., & Yang, W. (2018). Relationships among physical activity, sleep duration, and academic achievement in a representative sample of adolescents. Preventive Medicine Reports, 12, 71-74.
- Oman, R.F., Clements-Nolle, K.., Lu, M., **Dominguez, A., & *Lensch, T. (2018). An investigation of youth assets and physical activity and BMI using a longitudinal cohort design. American Journal of Health Promotion, 32(8), 1751-1754.
- Oman, R.F., Vesley S.K., Clements-Nolle, K., Fluhr, J. (2018). Teen pregnancy prevention in group homes: Recruiting and retention considerations. American Journal of Public Health, 108(S1), S9-S10.
- Oman, R., Vesley, S., Green, J., Clements-Nolle, K., & Lu, M. (2018). Effects of a teen pregnancy prevention intervention on youth living in group care homes: Results of a cluster randomized clinical trial. American Journal of Public Health, 108(S1), S38-S44.
- *Gay, C., Clements-Nolle, K., Packham, J., Ackermen, G., *Lensch, T., & Yang, W. (2018). Community level exposure to the rural mining industry: The potential influence on early adolescent alcohol and tobacco use. Journal of Rural Health, 34(3), 304-313.
- Clements-Nolle, K., *Lensch, T., Baxa, A., *Gay, C., Larson, S., & Yang, W. (2018). Sexual identity, adverse childhood experiences, and suicidal behaviors. Journal of Adolescent Health, 62, 198-204.
- Green, J., Oman, R.F., Lu, M., Clements-Nolle, K. (2017). Long-term improvements in knowledge and psychosocial factors of a teen pregnancy prevention intervention implemented in group homes. Journal of Adolescent Health, 60(6), 698-705.
- Clements-Nolle, K., *Larson, S., *Buttar, A, & **Dermid-Gray L. (2017). Childhood maltreatment and unprotected sex among female juvenile offenders: evidence of mediation by substance abuse and psychological distress. Women's Health Issues, 27(2), 188-195.
- *Reinhardt, J., Clements-Nolle, K., & Yang, W. (2019). Physical fighting among male and female adolescents of military families: Results from a representative sample of high school students. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 34(1), 115-134. [Epub ahead of print, 2016].
- Lan, G., Yuan, Z., Clements-Nolle, K., Cook, A., Yuan, L., Xu, Q., Jiang, H., Zheng, H., Wang, L., & Yang, W. (2016). Social capital and quality of life among people living with HIV/AIDS in Southeast China. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 28(4), 325-335.
- Clements-Nolle, K., *Lensch, T., Larson, S., & Yang, W. (2016). Prevalence and correlates of any and frequent synthetic cannabinoid use in a representative sample of high school students. Substance Use & Misuse, 51(9), 1139-1146.
- *Frankenberger, D. J., Clements-Nolle, K., & Yang, W. (2015). The association between adverse childhood experiences and drinking during pregnancy in a population-based sample of women. Women's Health Issues, 25(6), 688-695.
- Clements-Nolle, K., *Buttar, A., **Dermid-Gray, L., **Peterson, T., & **Esp, A. (2014). Use of Craigslist to hook up: age differences in sexual requests, disease status disclosure and negotiated safety. Journal of Public Health, 113-117.
- *Buttar, A., Clements-Nolle, K., Haas, J., & Reese, F. (2013). Dating violence, emotional distress, and attempted suicide among female adolescents involved with the juvenile justice system. Journal of Correctional Health Care, 19(2): 101-112.
- Clements-Nolle, K., & **Rivera, C. (2013). The epidemiology of adolescent health. In O'Donohue, W., Benuto, L., & Woodward, L. (Eds.), Handbook of adolescent health psychology. New York: Springer Publishers.
- *Noffsinger, S., Clements-Nolle, K., Lee, W., Bacon, R., Albers, E., & Yang, W. (2012). Substance use and fighting among male and female high school youth: A brief report. Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse, 21(2), 105-116.
- *Mburia, A., Clements-Nolle, K., Lee, W., Shadley, M.., & Yang, W. (2010). Intimate partner abuse and depression in a population-based sample of women: Can social support help? Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 25(12), 2258-78
- Clements-Nolle, K., *Wolden, M., & **Bargmann-Losche, J. (2009). Childhood trauma and risk for past and future suicide attempts among women in prison. Women's Health Issues, 19(3), 185-192.
- Clements-Nolle, K., Marx, R., Pendo, M., Loughran, E., Estes, M., & Katz, M. (2008). Highly active antiretroviral therapy use and risk behaviors among individuals who are HIV infected and were recently released from jail. American Journal of Public Health, 98(4), 661-6.
- Clements-Nolle, K., Guzman, R., & **Harris, S. (2008). Sex trade in a male-to-female transgender population: Psychosocial correlates of inconsistent condom use. Sexual Health, 5(1), 49-54.
- Clements-Nolle, K., & Bachrach, A. (2008). CBPR with a hidden population: the transgender community health project a decade later. In M Minkler & N Wallerstein (Eds.) Community-based research for health: From process to outcomes. New Jersey: Jossey-Bass Publishing.
- Ballard-Reisch, D., Clements-Nolle, K., **Jenkins, T., **Sacks, T., **Pruitt, K., **Leathers, K. (2008). Applying the crisis and emergency risk communication (CERC) integrative model to bioterrorism preparedness: a Nevada case study. In M.W Seeger, T Sellnow, & R.L Ulmer (Eds.), Crisis Communication and the Public Health. New Jersey: Hampton Press.
- Devereux, P., Clements-Nolle, K., Clodfelter, S., **Bargmann-Losche, J., Feroro, M., & Yang, W. (2007). HIV-positive individuals released from Nevada's prisons in 2001: Results from matching health divisions' and corrections' databases. Journal of the Nevada Public Health Association, 4(1), 11-16.
- Clements-Nolle, K., Marx, R., & Katz, M. (2006). Attempted suicide among transgender persons: The influence of gender-based discrimination and victimization. Journal of Homosexuality, 51(3), 53-69.
- Clements-Nolle, K., Ballard-Reisch, D.S., Todd, R.L., & *Jenkins, T. (2005). Findings from Nevada's academic-practice collaboration: Possibilities outside an academic center for public health preparedness. Public Health Reports, 120 (supplement 1), 100-108.
- Clements-Nolle, K., & *Bachrach, A. (2002). Community based participatory research with a hidden population: The transgender community health project. In M Minkler & N Wallerstein (Eds.) Community-based participatory research for health. New Jersey: Jossey-Bass Publishing, a Wiley & Sons Company.
- Kellogg, T.A., Clements-Nolle, K., Dilley, J., Katz, M.H., & McFarland, W. (2001). Incidence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus among male-to-female transgendered persons in San Francisco. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 28(4), 380-384.
- Clements-Nolle, K., Marx, R., Guzman, R., & Katz, M. (2001). HIV prevalence, risk behaviors, health care use, and mental health status of transgender persons in San Francisco: Implications for public health intervention. American Journal of Public Health, 91(6), 915-921.
- Clements-Nolle., K., Wilkinson, W., Kitano, K., & Marx, R. (2001). HIV prevention and health service needs of the transgender community in San Francisco. In W Bockting & S Kirk (Eds.) Transgender and HIV: Risks, prevention, and care. New York: The Hayworth Press.
- Minkler, M., Shauffler, H., & Clements-Nolle, K. (2000). Health promotion for older Americans in the 21st century. American Journal of Health Promotion, 14(6), 371-379.