Dr. Longo is a nurse epidemiologist specializing in environmental health. Her research interests are on delineating health effects in populations exposed to volcanic air pollution and wildfire smoke. As a clinician with over 40 years of experience, she collaborates with frontline health care workers and public health to identify adverse effects and test interventions to improve the quality of care to patients and populations. She is a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, the founder of the Environmental Health Committee for Nevada Nurses Association, and the American Nursing Association’s Clean Air Ambassador for Hawai`i and Nevada. She has been featured on the Science Channel, CNN International, Discovery News Channel, Public Radio and in the Washington Post. Her research was influential in passing health policy legislation to monitor air quality in communities around Kīlauea Volcano, Hawai`i. Dr. Longo has assisted PAHO’s Technical Advisory Group for volcanic ashfall and joined the DOI’s Strategic Sciences Group 2018 deployment to Kīlauea’s eruption. Most recently, she is a Health Professional for Clean Air and Climate Action for the American Lung Association.
Courses Taught (2020-2021)
- NURS 735 Introduction to Knowledge Development and Scientific Inquiry
- NURS 466 Nursing Research
- NURS 466S Health Care Statistics and Nursing Research
- Associate Professor, Orvis School of Nursing, University of Nevada Reno
- Mental Health Nurse Educator, Renown Regional Medical Center, Reno, NV
- Teaching Assistant for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Oregon State University
- Professor of Mental Health Nursing, Universidad National de Peru, Cajamarca
- Thomas Rumble Graduate Fellow in Nursing, Wayne State University
- Andean Rural Health Development Volunteer, Peru
- Instructor of Nursing, Great Basin College, NV
- Clinical Instructor of Nursing, Universidad de Cuyo, Argentina
- Nurse Manager/Supervisor/Educator, Washoe Medical Center, Reno, NV
- Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counselor, NV
- National Ski Patroller, Mount Rose, NV
- CPR Instructor, American Heart Association, Reno, NV
Program of Research & Discovery
- Dr. Longo's Google Scholar profile
- The Kīlauea Volcano Health Studies
- Health Effects from Volcanic Air Pollution
- Public Health & Nursing Interventions during Volcanic Eruptions
- Wildfire Smoke Exposure: Adverse Health Effects on School Children
- Teach SBIRT - Nursing Education Project
- Longo, BM (2021). Earthquake Preparedness and Knowledge of Recommended Self-Protective Actions: A Survey of Nursing Students. Disaster medicine and public health preparedness, 1–5. Advance online publication
- Vaccaiah T & Longo BM. Environmental health and the homeless. RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association, December Issue 2020.
- Longo BM & Bard J. Efforts in Nevada: ‘State of the Air’ Briefing 2020. RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association, September Issue 2020.
- Perry RM, Bralio C, Riney J, & Longo BM. Nevada: Leading the Way in Mining. RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association, August Issue 2020.
- Longo BM. Be Weather-Ready: Severe Thunderstorms & Lightning. RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association, May Issue 2020.
- Longo BM, Elias T, & Horwell, C. (2019) The health hazards of volcanic and geothermal gases: A guide for the public
- Results from the Department of the Interior Strategic Sciences Group Technical Support for the 2018 Kīlauea Eruption (Published 2019)
- Longo, BM. (November 2019) Microplastics and our health. RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association
- Longo, BM. (May 2019) What's new about pediatric lead poisoning? RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association
- Longo, BM. (2019) The Clinical Nurse Leader: An opportunity for Nevada's healthcare organizations. Nevada State Board of Nursing News
- Longo, BM. & Booth, D. (November 2018) Animal Bites: Risk, Care & Reporting. RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association
- Longo, BM. (2018) What can SBIRT do to save lives in Nevada? RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association
- Longo, BM. (2016) Acute Asthma at Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i USA. Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Longo, BM & Brown, T. (2014) Climate Change in the Great Basin RNFormation Newsletter of the Nevada Nurses Association
- Longo, BM. (2013) Adverse health effects associated with increased activity at Kilauea Volcano: A repeated population-based survey. ISRN Public Health. Open Access ID 475962
- Prahm, N., Longo, BM., Baxter, K. & Brown TJ. (2013) Lightning does strike twice; A fulminology primer for nurse practitioners. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(8), 479-486. Feature article for continuing education.
- Longo, BM & Longo, AA. (2013) Volcanic ash in the aire we breathe. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine, 8:52.
- Forsberg, N., Longo, BM, Baxter, K. & Boutee M. (2012) Wildfire Smoke Exposure: A Guide for the Nurse Practitioner. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 8(2), 98-108.
- Longo, BM, Yang, W, Green, JB, Crosby, FL & Crosby, VL. (2010) Acute Health Effects Associated with Exposure to Volcanic Air Pollution (vog) from Increased Activity at Kilauea Volcano in 2008. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 73: 20, 1370 - 1381.
- Longo, BM, Yang, W. Green, JB, Longo, AA, Harris, M. & Biblone, R. (2010). Indoor air quality for vulnerable populations at Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. Family and Community Health, 22(1), 21-31.
- Longo BM, & Yang W. (2008). Acute bronchitis and volcanic air pollution: A community-based cohort study at Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i, USA. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 71:24, 1565-1571.
- Longo BM, Rossingnol A, & Green JB. (2008). Cardiorespiratory health effects associated with sulfurous volcanic air pollution. Public Health, 122(8), 809-820.
- Longo, BM, Grunder, A, Chuan, R & Rossignol, A. (2005). SO2 and fine aerosol dispersion from the Kilauea plume, Kau district, Hawaii, USA. Geology; 33(3): 217-220.
- President-elect (2020-2021), Nevada Nurses Association
- American Lung Association of Nevada, LungForce Walk 2021 committee
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader Ambassador for Nevada, 2016 to 2020
- Nevada Nurses Association: State Secretary 2015 - 2017, Chair of Nominations Committee 2019, Chair of Environmental Health Committee 2015- present
- University of Nevada, Reno’s Faculty Senate: Executive Board Member, 2016-2017
- University of Nevada, Reno's Graduate Council: Chair, 2013
- Ph.D., Public Health, Oregon State University
- M.S., Nursing Education, Idaho State University
- B.S.N., Nursing, University of Nevada, Reno
- A.S.N., Nursing with Honors, Michigan Technological University