I like to say I was born to be a trauma nurse. Growing up on a farm in Illinois that sat off the major highway route between one of the largest glass factories and Wisconsin breweries, I saw plenty of automobile, semi-trailers, and farming accidents. At the age of 14, I began my nursing journey as a Future Nurse of America which was a program associated with my high school. My job was to feed post-MI patients their dinner (those were the days we didn’t let MI patients do anything for themselves). I had a great mentor who encouraged me to continue my dream of becoming a nurse. I went on to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, a LPN, and eventually completed my RN. I value education and have been a lifelong learner.
- Neuro Trauma, Head and Spine Injuries
- Educational Methodologies
- University of Nevada, Reno February 2008 - current
Level IV Theory & Clinical
- Renown Regional Medical Center 1986–2008
Critical Care/Trauma, Staff and Leadership Roles
- Orvis School of Nursing 2017 - current
Associate Dean of Graduate Programs
- Orvis School of Nursing 2013 - 2016
Associate Director of Graduate Program
- Orvis School of Nursing 2010 - current
Graduate Program Coordinator
- Orvis School of Nursing 2019 - current
- Orvis School of Nursing 2008 - 2019
2017 Keating, S. B. & DeBoor, S. S., (2017). Curriculum development and evaluation in nursing, (4th ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
2012 DeBoor, S. S., & Smyer, T. (2012). The lived experience of non-degreed learners from a time modified traditional baccalaureate in nursing program. Journal of Nursing Education, 51(4), 197- 203.
2008 Ballard, N., McCombs, A., DeBoor, S, Strachan, J., Johnson, M., Smith, M.J., Stephens, K., Pelter, M.M. How our ICU decreased the rate of hospital acquired pressure ulcers. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 23(1) 92-97.
2005 DeBoor, S.S., Pelter M.M., & Adams, M.G. Nonrespiratory sinus arrhythmia. American Journal of Critical Care. 14 (2) 161-162.
- Associate's Degree in Nursing from Illinois Valley Community College, Ogelsby, Illinois
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from University of Nevada, Reno
- Master's Degree in Nursing from University of Nevada, Reno
- Post Master's Certificate in Nursing Education from University of Nevada, Reno
- Ph.D. Degree in Nursing from University of Nevada, Las Vegas