- Ph.D., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, 2012
- M.A., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, 2008
- B.E., Thermal Science and Energy Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China, 2006
Dr. Shan joined the University of Nevada, Reno in July 2014 after finishing a two-year postdoctoral research fellowship at Soft Machines Lab at Mechanical Engineering Department of Carnegie Mellon University. Before that, during his Ph.D. study at Princeton University, he worked as Research Assistant in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Intern Scientist at Cordis Corporation, a Johnson&Johnson Company, and Visiting Scholar at Soft Living Matter Group at Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering.
Dr. Shan's research falls within the general area of mechanics and materials, with emphasis on small, soft, smart and multifunctional materials, their mechanical/thermal properties and applications in soft robotics, wearable devices and biomedical devices.
- Soft robotics
- Wearable/biomedical devices
- Bioinspired smart materials and structures
- Fatigue and fracture of small structures
- Materials for energy applications
- Thermal science
- W.L. Shan, S. Diller, A. Tutcuoglu, C. Majidi*, Rapid and Reversible Electrically-Powered Rigidity Tuning with a Carbon-filled Propylene-Ethylene Co-Polymer Elastomer Composite, 2014. (Submitted)
- W.L. Shan*, T. Lu, Z.H. Wang, C. Majidi, Thermal Analysis and Design of a Multi-Layered Rigidity Tunable Composite, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 66:271-278, 2013.
- W.L. Shan, T. Lu, C. Majidi*, Soft Matter Composites with Electrically Tunable Elastic Rigidity, Smart Materials and Structures, 22:085005, 2013.
- W.L. Shan*, Y. Yang, T. Hillie, W. Jordaan and W.O. Soboyejo*, Role of Oxide Thickening in Fatigue Crack Initiation in LIGA Nickel MEMS Thin Films, Materials Science and Engineering A, 561:434-440, 2013.
- W.L. Shan, Z. Chen, C.P. Broedersz, A.A. Gumaste, W.O. Soboyejo, C.P. Brangwynne*, Attenuated Short Wavelength Buckling and Force Propagation in a Biopolymer-reinforced Rod, Soft Matter, 9:194-199, 2013.
- W.L. Shan, J. Du, E.P. Hampp, H. Li, G. Papandreou, C. Maryanoff and W.O. Soboyejo*, Adhesion and Cohesion of Structures Containing Suspended Microscopic Polymeric Films, Acta Biomaterialia, 8(4):1469-1480, 2012.
- P. Hu*, W.L. Shan, F. Yu, Z.S. Chen, Thermal Conductivity of AlN-Ethanol Nanofluid, International Journal of Thermophysics, 29(6):1968-1973, 2008.