Students should meet with an academic adviser at least once each semester to discuss course selection, progress toward graduation and to create lasting connections with faculty and staff in the English department.
Phone: (775) 784-6689
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule advising appointments, contact the English Department for availability. Please include your NSHE number, your major/minor, the purpose for the appointment, a couple options for scheduling and your preferred advisor.
Prepare for your appointment
- Check your record in MyNevada to clarify courses you still need to take and list non-English courses you need to take on a sheet of paper.
- Print out the worksheet for your English specialization and cross off English classes already taken.
- Sketch out a rough plan of your remaining semesters, with potential courses highlighted on the worksheet.
- Print and fill out any forms that require the advisor's signature, such as declaration of major or minor.
Major and minor declaration forms can be found on the Academic Central forms page.
- Literature major worksheet (pre-2016)
- Literature major worksheet (2016 and after)
- Writing major worksheet (pre-2016)
- Writing major worksheet (2016 and after)
- Language and Linguistics major worksheet
- English for Secondary Teaching major worksheet
- Minor worksheet (pre-2016)
- Minor worksheet (2016 and after)
English Specialization Catalog Descriptions and Recommended Four-Year Plans:
Consider potential future course selections by reviewing our course rotation lists. Please note: these are provisional rotations and are subject to change! Please meet with an advisor to get up-to-date information about next semester.
Spring advising hours:
M 2-4 David Fenimore
W 1-4 Patrick Harris
MWF 2:30-3:30 Micah Stack
TR 1:30-3 Jason Ludden
M 10-12, T 1-2 Alissa Surges
T 12:30-1:30 Ann Keniston
Meet your advisors