Examiner: Dr. Sesh Commuri, email@example.com
The exam tests the student's background and preparation in Digital Design and in Embedded Systems. The topics that are covered in standard introductory textbooks on Digital Logic, Fundamentals of Computer Design, and Microprocessors/Microcontrollers. Examples of suitable texts are:
- Digital Design, by M. M. Mano and M. D. Ciletti, Pearson, 2013. (ISBN: 0-13-277420-8)
- Introduction to Embedded Systems: Using ANSI C and the Arduino Development Environment, by David Russell, Morgan & Claypool, 2010.
- The duration of the exam is three hours.
- The exam is open book/open notes. Use of electronic devices, Internet or consultations with others is strictly not permitted.
- Combinational logic analysis and design (Boolean Algebra, properties of gates, implementation of functions specified by Boolean equations by a combination of gates, minimal realizations, analysis of combinational circuits).
- Sequential logic analysis and design (Components of sequential circuits, Moore and Mealy models, latches and flip flops, state diagrams, construction of state tables, analysis of sequential circuits, implementation of sequential circuits, counters, reduction of state machines, state machine design and analysis).
- Microprocessors and Microcontrollers (architecture, field programmable gate arrays, memory and I/O decoding, timers, interrupt systems, analog to digital converters).
- Introduction to embedded systems design and applications (Programming in C Language, pointers and bitwise operators, interfacing external devices to microprocessors via address/data buses, Arduino Atmega Architecture, system interrupts, VHDL design language).