Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Want to build better cities? With a master's degree in civil and environmental engineering, you'll have the expertise to design infrastructure that improves quality of life.
Program at a glance
- Fall enrollment: Jan. 15
- Spring enrollment: Sept. 1
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Minimum GRE: 302
- Minimum TOEFL: 550 (PBT) or 79 (IBT) or 6.5 IELTS
Graduate Program Director: Ramin Motamed, email@example.com
Our program emphasizes regionally relevant issues, including earthquake engineering, water quality and quantity, and transportation engineering for rural and urban environments.
Master's degree options
The master's degree program in civil and environmental engineering provides you with the engineering, scientific and communication skills to advance your engineering career or to move on to Ph.D. studies.
Our students work closely with internationally recognized faculty and gain experience by collaborating on applied and fundamental research projects.
The department offers two options for master's degree students:
- Plan A (Thesis option): This option combines coursework with a research-based thesis written on a topic within your specialty.
- Plan B (Non-thesis option): This option combines coursework with a comprehensive examination, which has both an oral and written component. The comprehensive exam covers core topics in civil and environmental engineering as well as topics within your areas of expertise. Specific questions will be determined by your primary advisor and examining committee.
If you have not passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam as an undergraduate, you are highly encouraged to do so as part of your master's degree program.
Learn more about our M.S. program requirements on the department website.
Areas of specialization
Students in the master's degree program can choose from five areas of specialization:
- Earthquake and structural engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Pavement engineering and science
- Transportation engineering
- Environmental engineering
Specific coursework requirements vary for each specialty. Our students work closely with faculty advisors to design a course of study that meets degree requirements and prepares them to write a thesis or pass comprehensive exams in their area of expertise.
How do I apply?
Admission to the master's degree program requires a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field such as biology, chemistry, math or physics. Other disciplines will be considered provided prerequisite courses in math, science and basic engineering are completed. Additionally, applicants should meet the following minimum standards:
- GPA of 3.0
- Combined verbal and quantitative GRE scores of 302
- For International Students only: 550 TOEFL (PBT) or 79 TOEFL (IBT) or 6.5 IELTS score
Applicants should also submit three letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose with their application.
Prospective students can start the application through the Graduate School website, which also provides detailed instructions on the Graduate School's application and admission requirements.
Deadline for applications and fellowship consideration is January 15 for Fall Semester enrollment and September 1 for enrollment during Spring Semester.
Funding packages available to graduate students include teaching or research assistantships. Awards are made on the basis of scholarship and promise for outstanding achievement. The applicant's grade point average, GRE scores, statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation are the primary means used to allocate financial aid for graduate students.For more on funding, review the pages below:
- More on graduate assistantships from the Graduate School website
- Scholarships and financial aid information for international students from the Office of International Students and Scholars website
- Graduate student tuition and fee information from the Graduate School website
You can apply now or fill out the form below if you'd like to learn more about the M.S. in civil and environmental engineering.
Related Degrees and Programs
- Civil Engineering, Minor
- Environmental Engineering, Minor
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Contact Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Location||Scrugham Engineering and Mines|