- BS, University of California - Davis, 1988
- Secondary Science Teaching Credential, University of California - Davis, 1989
- MS, Montana State University, 1995
I joined the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science (NRES) in Fall Semester 2005 as a lecturer and academic advisor. Prior to joining NRES, I taught high school science for 9 years in California and Nevada and environmental education for 3 years in Yosemite National Park. My major areas of interest are environmental science and science education. I teach the non-majors Core B course ENV 100 (Humans and the Environment) twice every semester and the NRES 100 introductory course for NRES majors (Principles of Natural Resources and Environmental Science) each fall. I also co-teach Science Partners (ABNR/SCI 415) each spring for undergraduate science majors who spend a semester teaching science in elementary schools.
I enjoy advising NRES students in four majors and introducing prospective students to our department on Nevada Bound tours. I am the outreach coordinator for the UNR Museum of Natural History and serve as a reviewer for textbook publishers.
- NRES 100 Principles of Natural Resources and Environmental Science
- ENV 100 Humans and the Environment
- ABNR/SCI 415 Science Partners
- Stoughton, J. 2013. Case study on integrating geographic skills into a freshman experience class using an introductory field trip and linked assignments (accepted poster). Association of Pacific Coast Geographers Annual Meeting. Squaw Valley, CA.
- Stoughton, J. 2011. Connecting Non-Science Majors to their Environment: Place-based Education in the Truckee River Watershed, Nevada (accepted poster). Association of Pacific Coast Geographers Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
- Stoughton, J. 2010. Mastering Environmental Science online supplemental material for Environment: The Science Behind the Stories, 4e, Brennan and Withgott, including "Interpreting Graphs and Data" and "Viewpoints" activity questions for 24 chapters. Pearson Education.
- Stoughton, J. 2009. NRES Undergraduate Program Overview, in NRES Program Review, USDA CSREES, Reno NV.
- Stoughton, J. 2008. "What are your students learning? Try SALG - the online Student Assessment of Learning Gains" (invited talk), Northern Nevada Assessment Conference, UNR. Reno, NV.
- Stoughton, J. and W. A. Marcus. 2000. The persistent impacts of trace metals from mining on grass communities along Soda Butte Creek, Yellowstone National Park. Environmental Management. 25(3):305-320.