Angela Smilanich, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor (research faculty)
- Tulane University 2002-2008-Ph.D
- Wesleyan University 2008-2012-Postdoctoral Research
Causes and consequences of variation in the insect immune response.
My research focuses on the ecology and evolution of diet breadth via physiological studies of multitrophic interactions between plants, herbivores, and natural enemies. Specific avenues of study include: (1) evolutionary ecology of insect immunity (2) investigation of plant secondary chemistry as insect immunosuppressant, and (3) behavioral adaptations of herbivores to host plants.
- Greeney H.F., Dyer L.A., and Smilanich A.M. 2012. Feeding by lepidopteran larvae is dangerous: A review of caterpillars' chemical, physiological, morphological, and behavioral defenses against natural enemies. Invertebrate Survival Journal 9:7-34.
- Massad T.J., Fincher R.M., Smilanich A.M., and Dyer L.A. 2011. A quantitative evaluation of major plant defense hypotheses, nature versus nurture, and chemistry versus ants. Arthropod-Plant Interactions 5: 125-139.
- Smilanich A.M., Vargas J., Dyer L.A., and Bowers M.D. 2011. Effects of ingested secondary metabolites on the immune response of a polyphagous caterpillar (Grammia incorrupta). Journal of Chemical Ecology 37:239-245.
- Smilanich A.M., Mason P.A., Sprung L., Chase T.R., and Singer M.S. 2011. Complex effects of parasitoids on pharmacophagy and diet choice of a polyphagous caterpillar. Oecologia 165: 995-1005.
- Richards L.A., Dyer, L.A., Smilanich A.M. and Dodson C.D. 2010. Synergistic effects of amides from two Piper species on generalist and specialist herbivores. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36:1105-1113.
- Smilanich A.M., Dyer L.A., Chambers J.Q. and Bowers M.D. 2009. Immunological cost of chemical defence and the evolution of herbivore diet breadth. Ecology Letters 12: 612-621.
- Smilanich A.M., Dyer L.A., and Gentry G.L. 2009. The insect immune response and other putative defenses as effective predictors of parasitism. Ecology 90:1434-1440.
- Dyer L.A., Dodson C.D., Stireman J.O., Tobler M.A., Smilanich A.M., Fincher R.M., and Letourneau D.K. 2003. Synergistic effects of three Piper amides on generalist and specialist herbivores. Journal of Chemical Ecology 29:2499-2514.