The WRSC has an extensive inventory of aggregate preparation and testing equipment and facilities. Approximately 1,000 square feet of existing laboratory space is devoted to aggregate/soil preparation, testing and batching. Extensive outside storage is available for bulk aggregate stockpiles.
We offer the following tests:
- Petrographic analysis of aggregates: provides identification and quality of types and varieties of rocks/minerals present in aggregates.
- Aggregate Imaging System (AIMS): Automated system to analyze the fractured faces, flat and elongated, angularity, and texture of aggregates.
- Consensus properties of aggregate: Includes sand equivalent, percent of fractured faces, percent of flat and elongated particles, and uncompacted void content.
- Aggregate specific gravities: Measures the specific gravities (bulk, SSD, and apparent) and absorption of coarse and fine aggregates.
- Aggregate particle size distribution: Includes wash sieve analysis and dry sieve analysis.
- Los Angeles (LA) abrasion test: Analyses aggregate toughness and abrasion characteristics.
Applicable test methods
|Test description||AASHTO standards||ASTM Standards|
|Evaporable moisture content||T255||C566|
|Percent of fracture||T335||D4791*|
|Percent of flat and elongation||D5821*|
|Sieve analyses||T27*, T11*, T30*||C136, C117|
|Specific gravities||T84*, T85*||C127, C128|
|Uncompacted void content of fine aggregates||T304*||C1252|
* Denotes WRSC is AASHTO resource accredited for the test method