Emily Berthelot joined the Department of Criminal Justice in 2016. She received her doctoral degree in sociology with a concentration in criminology from Louisiana State University in 2010.
Berthelot's research has primarily focused on the epidemiology of victimization risk and offending patterns, but her research interests are truly built upon her passion for social and economic equality and integrates theoretical frameworks that span across several disciplines including criminology, sociology, urban studies and public health. She has examined the nature and implications of inequality and socioeconomic disadvantage on several broad topics including: cultures of violence and cultural transfer; racial and ethnic variations in offending, victimization and behaviors; and neighborhood and community predictors of offending and victimization.
* denotes graduate student co-author:
- *Grant Drawve, Stacy Moak, and Emily R. Berthelot. 2016. "Predictability of Gun Crimes: Hot Spots versus Risk Terrain Modeling." Policing and Society, 26(3): 312-331. DOI: 10.1080/10439463.2014.942851
- *Emily R. Berthelot, Timothy C. Brown, Grant Drawve, and Kyle A. Burgason. 2015. "The Southern Pub-Crawl and Brawl: An Examination of the Alcohol-Violence Nexus in a Southern City." Deviant Behavior, 36(8): 605-624. DOI:10.1080/01639625.2014.951575
- *Emily R. Berthelot, Timothy C. Brown, Shaun A. Thomas, and Kyle A. Burgason. "Racial (In)Variance, Disadvantage, & Lethal Violence: A Contextual, Event-History Analysis of Black Homicide Victimization Risk in the U.S." Homicide Studies: Online First February 5, 2015. DOI: 10.1177/1088767915570311
- *Burgason, Kyle, Shaun A. Thomas, Emily R. Berthelot, and Chris Burkey. 2014. "Gats and Gashes: Street Culture and Distinctions in the Nature of Violence between Youth and Adult Offenders" Deviant Behavior, 35(7): 534-554. DOI: 10.1080/01639625.2013.862032
- Timothy C. Brown, Craig J. Forsyth, and Emily R. Berthelot. 2014. "The mediating effect of civic community on social growth: The importance of reciprocity." The Social Science Journal, 51(2):219-30. DOI:10.1016/j.soscij.2013.08.007
- *Kyle Burgason, Shaun Thomas, and Emily R. Berthelot. 2014. "The Nature of Violence: A Multilevel Analysis of Gun Use and Victim Injury in Violent Interpersonal Encounters." Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 29(3):371-93. DOI: 10.1177/0886260513505212
- Emily R. Berthelot. "Southern Cities Post-Katrina: The Effect of Social Disorganization in New Orleans and Houston Neighborhoods." Major Disaster and Crime, edited by Toyoji Saito.
- Emily R. Berthelot, Troy C. Blanchard, and Timothy C. Brown. 2011. "Commuting and Theft: The Effect of Journey to Work Patterns on Crime Rates." Kentucky Journal of Anthropology and Sociology 1(2):39-54.
- Brown, Timothy C., William B. Bankston, Craig J. Forsyth, and Emily R. Berthelot. 2011. "Qualifying the Boom-Bust Paradigm: An Examination of the Off-Shore Oil and Gas Industry" Sociology Mind 1(3):96-104. DOI:10.4236/sm.2
- Lee, Matthew R. and Emily R. Berthelot. 2010. "Ecological Covariates of Malnutrition Based Mortality Among the Elderly." Annals of Epidemiology 20(5):371-79. DOI: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2010.01.008
- Blanchard, Troy C. and Emily R. Berthelot. 2008. "The Supply Side of Crime: Assessing the Impact of Current Work Patterns and Offender Activities on Burglary Rates." International Journal of Crime, Criminal Justice, and Law 3(2):71-9.
- Emily R., Berthelot, Troy C. Blanchard, and Timothy C. Brown. 2008. "Scots-Irish Women and the Southern Culture of Violence: The influence of Scots-Irish Females on high rates of Southern Violence." Southern Rural Sociology 23(2):157-70.
- Emily R. Berthelot. 2007. "The Scots-Irish and the Southern Culture of Violence: An Empirical Analysis." International Journal of Crime, Criminal Justice, and Law 2(2):249-62.
- May 12, 2010: Press release from Louisiana State University Media Relations
- May 13, 2010: Featured on MedicalNewsToday.com
- May 31, 2010: Featured on ScienceDaily.com
- June 1, 2010: Featured on EmpowHER.com
- June 2, 2010: Featured on Paging Dr. Gupta, CNN.com
- September 2, 2010: Featured on MDLinx.com
- Ph.D., Sociology, Louisiana State University, 2010
- M.A., Sociology, Louisiana State University, 2007
- B.A., Sociology (Concentration in Criminology), Louisiana State University, 2004