Travel and Professional Development Awards
Postdoctoral Awards for Professional Development
The University of Nevada, Reno Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, with support from the Graduate School, is pleased to provide Professional Development travel awards to postdocs on a competitive basis.
These awards are designed to support postdocs' professional development needs by providing reimbursement for activities that directly enhance the individual's professional growth. Such activities include, but are not limited to, fieldwork, conference travel, workshop attendance, and completion of special courses.
Applicants with creative ideas for reaching their professional development goals are encouraged to apply. The awards are open to postdocs in all disciplines. Each recipient will receive an award of up to $500. A limited number of awards will be given in 2018-2019.
Award submissions are now accepted year-round to accommodate your last-minute funding needs! Be sure you have a recent IDP on file with our office prior to submitting your award application.
Guidelines and Eligibility
- Only postdocs may apply. Applications will not be accepted from non-postdoctoral employment designations such as Visiting Scholar, Research Associate, Research Scientist, Research Assistant Professor, etc.
- Postdocs may submit only one application per semester (including summer session), and only receive one award per academic year.
- The award funds must be expended while the applicant is still employed as a postdoc at the University of Nevada, Reno. At the time of reimbursement, the awardee must still be a postdoc at UNR.
- Awards will not be made retroactively, such as for travel completed prior to the travel period specified.
- You will need to fill out a travel request form prior to your trip and a travel claim form once you return. All original receipts, records, and similar financial documentation relating to award expenditures must be presented to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. If appropriate documentation is not provided, the award will be rescinded. An award is a reimbursement for expenditures, not a cash bonus, and will not be given as a lump sum to awardees (no travel advances are allowed).
- Funds must be expended as outlined in the application. The award may not be used for any purpose other than that originally proposed. If the postdoc is not accepted to a competitive workshop, decides to attend a different conference than originally proposed, or otherwise changes his/her plans, he/she will have to obtain permission from the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to use funds for the new activity. If the postdoc receives additional travel funds for the same trip (that covers all costs), the award will be rescinded.
- Postdocs MUST have current IDPs on file at the OPA to receive a travel award.
Applications must consist of the following:
- A one-page cover letter (see below).
- A current curriculum vitae (including a service and leadership section, if applicable).
- A detailed budget (no more than 1 page). Applications that do not include a detailed budget will not be considered. In the budget, include all costs (e.g., registration, transportation, lodging, meals, and any other anticipated expenses), not only the portion that may be covered by this award.
The cover letter should include:
- A brief description of the applicant's research topic and its significance.
- The applicant's total years as a postdoc and the number of years spent at UNR.
- A description of the applicant's career goals, and immediate plans to reach those goals.
- A proposed use for the award funds, and a specific description of how the activity/activities will further the applicant's career goals.
- If the application is for a conference, the applicant should indicate what he/she will be presenting, or plans to present (abstract, poster, or other materials). If the applicant does not plan to present, this should be noted.
We are currently accepting applications, Application materials must be submitted online, here:
Contact Rachel Zarndt at email@example.com.