The Mechanical Engineering Department has a long history of innovation and excellence in research, education, and outreach. We are intent on extending and strengthening our history through strong bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs that are driven by our mission, guiding principles, and goals.
The mission of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Nevada, Reno is:
- To provide undergraduate and graduate educational programs which emphasize fundamental mechanical engineering skills, such that:
- Our graduates are competitive in local, national, and international employment opportunities.
- The core curricula are broadly based to accommodate a variety of career goals.
- To provide the faculty and students an environment for scholarly research and innovation.
- To act as a focal point for engineering practitioners and industry through industry/university cooperative efforts.
- To develop and cultivate life-long learning opportunities.
The vision of the Mechanical Engineering Department is to:
- Have national reputations for: student success, impactful research and publications, and meaningful leadership and service to the Mechanical Engineering profession.
- Be a prominent contributor to the educational, research, professional service and economic diversification missions of the College of Engineering and University of Nevada, Reno.
- Provide a collaborative academic environment in which students, faculty and staff know they can reach their full professional potential by seeking out and being responsive to stakeholder input.
The goals of the Mechanical Engineering Department are to:
- Provide undergraduate and graduate educational programs that help students build the foundation for successful careers within and outside of the mechanical engineering profession, and prepare them for further study and growth.
- Conduct and disseminate impactful, peer-reviewed, sustainably-funded, fundamental and applied, mechanical engineering and multi-disciplinary research that addresses key unanswered scientific questions and societal needs.
- Provide leadership and service that enhances the mechanical engineering profession, the Department's academic and research communities, the economic diversification and growth of the region and the country, and the reputation of the Department.
Our Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives are that our graduates will be:
- Proficient in performing entry-level mechanical engineering analysis and design.
- Able to define, design, execute, and analyze experiments.
- Able to communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing.
- Successful in pursuit of graduate studies at UNR or at other institutions.