It is our goal to serve all students at the CLA Student Center in a respectful, equitable and timely manner. To ensure our ability to provide productive appointments and efficiently take care of your advising needs, as well as maintain a professional office environment, we ask for your understanding of and adherence to our office’s general policies.
- We request that you schedule your advising appointment at least one business day in advance.
- Scheduling in advance allows you and your advisor time to adequately prepare for the appointment. Advisors often like to review your academic records prior to meeting with you, which can help appointments flow more smoothly.
- We strongly encourage you to plan ahead for appointments. Our office experiences high appointment demand in peak advising periods (typically the first week of classes, mid-October through November, and March through April), during which you may want to schedule an appointment several days to a few weeks in advance.
- Note: During advertised “Express Advising” events, we will offer walk-in advising without an appointment for specified quick advising transactions.
- Depending on the purpose of your meeting, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment if you arrive late.
- Your advisor may be unable to sufficiently address all your needs when starting several minutes late if you have several or detailed advising issues. We want to ensure there is enough time during your appointment to cover all the topics we need to discuss.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please contact us beforehand to reschedule or cancel.
- Letting us know beforehand when you cannot attend an appointment will allow your advisor time to assist other students. Your cancellation may also afford another student an opportunity to use that time slot, which is especially helpful during peak advising periods.
- We acknowledge that sometimes students have urgent advising needs. Please understand that we are not always able to address all students’ concerns immediately, but will assist you as soon as possible.
- In addition to advising hundreds of liberal arts students, your college advisors have many other responsibilities (including but not limited to: student recruitment events, orientation, LiberalArtsFIT, advanced registration, campus outreach activities, committee work, special projects, etc.).
- Your advisor’s response time to inquiries may vary depending upon their advising load, time of year, and involvement with other tasks. Please be patient and allow two-to-three days for a reply.
- Please expect a turnaround time of a few business days when requesting an advisor’s signature on forms, and understand that we may ask you to make an appointment to complete some types of documents.
- We want everyone to feel welcome in the CLA Student Center. We ask that everyone be respectful and courteous while within this space.
- We ask that you be considerate of those around you, including staff and other students.
- Language or behavior that is disrespectful to others, disruptive to the operation of the office, or otherwise inconsistent with the Student Code of Conduct is unacceptable. Students exhibiting such actions may be asked to leave and/or have their conduct referred to appropriate officials.