Travel Support

The College of Liberal Arts provides travel funding for the purpose of faculty development. Additional travel support may be available from other university sources, such as departments, the Vice President for Research, Graduate Student Association, etc.


Any full-time, continuing faculty member in the college is eligible to receive travel support from the Dean for one trip per year, provided that he or she is participating, presenting, performing or exhibiting in a professional venue. The Travel Support Program does not fund mere conference attendance. Faculty members on sabbatical or faculty development leave are also eligible for travel support. The Dean's account is not able to provide travel support for contingent lecturers or postdoctoral fellows. Travel funds from the college are awarded as follows, budget permitting:

  • A maximum of $900 for domestic travel is available each fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).


  • A maximum of $1,250 for international travel is available each fiscal year (July 1 -June 30).
  • Funds may be used to pay for transportation costs, conference registration fees, per diem, and lodging.
  • Travel expenses for meetings in support of professional service (e.g., as an officer in a professional association, as a chair or discussant at a professional conference, as an editor for a professional journal) can be funded, but only to a maximum of 50% of the limits established under the travel support policy for travel in support of research and creative activity.

All travel requests must have the Dean's approval.

  • All out of state travel must be preceded by an "Employee's Travel Request" form. Without this form travel is not authorized and is not covered by insurance.
  • Domestic Travel Requests must be submitted and approved 5 days prior to leaving for an out-of-state trip. Please include the invitation or acceptance to perform or present.
  • Foreign Travel Requests must be submitted at least 30 calendar days prior to the date of travel to the International Travel Director (Travel Office) and require a separate travel request form and an accompanying International Travel Safety and Risk Form. This means the form should be approved by your chair and the Dean's Office prior to the 30 day period. Depending on the destination and the nature of the trip, there may be other documentation required. See the International Travel Policy; 1,404 University Administrative Manual.
  • "Purpose of Trip" should describe the professional venue and nature of the activity and include any additional information that supports the trip.
  • Department assistants need to be sure to complete the accounting information section identifying account numbers from which funds are being requested, the division name providing the funds [such as CLA, VPR, PROVOST, GSA, etc], and the amount being requested. It is imperative that travel funds be available in the account from which they are being requested - check object code 20 to ensure travel funds are available or object code 30 to ensure registration funds are available prior to forwarding to the Dean's office for approval.

Routing travel requests: A travel request is initiated by a faculty member and requires his/her signature. It is then routed as follows:

  1. Department Chair or Supervisor
  2. Dean's Office - The travel request is then forwarded to other Divisions for necessary signatures, and finally sent to Travel for processing.

Travel Expense Claims

Travel expense claims must be filed within 10 business days after returning from the trip. Travel Claims may be forwarded directly to Travel (with Department Chair's signature) with the following exceptions:

  • Travel claims for a Department Chair or faculty member directly supervised by Dean Moddelmog requires the Dean's signature/approval.
  • Reimbursement for Host expenses on a travel claim requires the Dean's signature/approval.
  • When funds are being requested from the Dean, the travel claim requires the Dean's signature/approval.

Any faculty, staff, volunteers, or students participating in travel sponsored by, related to, or affiliated with the University shall first submit applicable travel requests prior to the date of travel as in accordance to the University Administrative Manual. International travel requests received fewer than 30 calendar days prior to the date of travel may not provide adequate time for review, and travel may not be reimbursable. International travel authorization requests submitted after travel has been completed shall not be reimbursable.