Types of financial aid

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships administers the varying University-, state- and federal-based financial aid programs that are included in a student's financial aid package. These programs include scholarships, loans, grants and work study (i.e., student employment).


Scholarships are a form of financial aid you don't have to repay and come from multiple sources, including the University and private organizations.


Grants are a form of financial aid from the federal government you typically don't have to repay, such as the Pell Grant.


Student loans come from the federal government and private sources and is money you borrow and have to repay with interest.


Federal Work-Study is a program that allows students to earn money by working part-time on-campus and in other settings.