Required Training

Do You Need Animal Studies Training?

The easiest way to decide if you need animal studies training as part of an IACUC approval process is to ask yourself the following questions:

  • Will I be using live vertebrate animals as a University employee, student, or visitor, whether for teaching or research purposes?
  • Will I be requesting another institution to make custom antibodies, perform a surgery, take tissue samples, administer drugs or reagents, or generate a transgenic or knockout animal for my project needs at the University?
  • Does my work include trapping or netting of any wild vertebrate animals, including mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians?
  • Does my work involve my handling of the animals, whether in captivity or in field settings?
  • In cases of field investigations, will my work involve invasive procedures, harm, or materially alter the behavior of the animals under study?
  • Will vertebrate animals be euthanized on my behalf for my scientific research, teaching, or testing needs?

If you have answered yes to any of these questions you will probably need an IACUC protocol and the applicable training modules. If you are planning field studies, go here to learn how to develop the appropriate protocol. If there is any doubt about training requirements or if you have any other questions on this topic, please contact the IACUC Administrator at (775) 682-6571.