CITI training for animal researchers

All faculty, technicians, staff, and in some cases students and visitors who will contact animals or engage in animal work must complete specific training before they will be allowed to perform this work. The minimum training required is outlined by federal regulations and policies. The University's IACUC utilizes online training provided by the CITI Program. The CITI Program offers a wide variety of training programs for researchers, but for the purposes of animal research a researcher only needs to complete training that is specifically related to that topic.

Step-by-step CITI instructions for animal researchers

  1. Visit the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) website and register.
  2. Select "The University of Nevada, Reno" in the "Participating Institutions" field.
  3. You do not need to apply for CME/CEU credits.
  4. On the "Course Enrollment Questions" page, select the following options for the respective fields:
    1. For "Human Subjects Research" select "N/A"
    2. For the "Good Clinical Practice" field do not select anything.
    3. For the "Responsible Conduct of Research" field, select "Not at this time."
    4. For the "Conflict of Interest Mini-Course," select "No."
    5. For the "Lab Animal Welfare" section, choose the first choice, "Working with the IACUC Course." Then select the species-specific courses that are relevant to your research project and interests.

Course enrollment selections for animal researchers

These are the course enrollment questions within CITI.

  1. Human Subjects Research
    Group 1 or Group 2 is required for ALL Human Subjects Training, all other groups are optional. You will be enrolled in the basic course for that group.
    • Group 1: Social Behavioral Research investigators and Key Personnel Group.
    • Group 2: Biomedical Research Investigators and Key Personnel Group.
    • N/A
  2. If you would like to take Good Clinical Practice (GCP) you’ll be given the following options:
    1. GCP course (US FDA focus)
    2. GCP course for clinical trials involving investigational drugs (international/ICH focus)
    3. GCP course for clinical trials involving investigational medical devices (international focus)
  3. Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) course options:
    1. Biomedical RCR course
    2. Social and Behavioral RCR course
    3. Physical science RCR course
    4. Humanities RCR course
    5. RCR for engineers
    6. RCR for administrators
  4. You’ll select if you would like to take the Conflict of Interest mini-course
  5. Lab Animal Welfare
    Do you conduct or supervise studies that use laboratory animals?
    • If yes, you must complete the basic course and the appropriate species-specific modules.
    • If you are an IACUC member or administrator you should complete the “Essentials for IACUC members” course.
    • Choose the appropriate species-specific course according to your work and interests.
      1. I am involved in studies that have the potential to cause “more than momentary pain and distress” in mice or rats.
      2. I work with frogs, toads or other amphibians.
      3. I work with mice.
      4. I work with rats.
      5. I work with hamsters.
      6. I work with gerbils.
      7. I work with guinea pigs.
      8. I work with rabbits.
      9. I work with dogs.
      10. I work with swine.
      11. I work with non-human primates (NHP).
      12. I work with cats.