Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

An instructor teaching

For the student referred for misconduct

What's the worst that can happen to me with the University if I have been involved in student misconduct?

The worst that can happen is that you can be expelled from the University for student misconduct, which is only rarely needed. In most circumstances, the student is placed on disciplinary probation with some conditions for successful completion of the probation, such as: involvement in an educational project, community service, restitution for damage or theft, or an assessment with a counselor to address concerns that might be related to the student's well-being.  If you've been charged with academic dishonesty, see the Academic Standards Policy.

What if you don't believe me? What can I do if I am not responsible for the misconduct as charged?

Your case will be investigated by the Assistant Dean, Student Conduct or a designee and an attempt will be made to resolve your case informally. Whether the complaining party is a faculty member, a staff member or a fellow student the standard of objective proof remains the same. The burden of proof for any report alleging student misconduct is on the university representative who must show by a preponderance of the evidence that it is more likely than not that the student was responsible for the misconduct as charged.  If the case cannot be informally resolved, you have the right to present your case before an impartial hearing board or hearing officer.  At this hearing you will be given the opportunity to bring witnesses on your behalf and to ask questions to the witnesses provided by the university.  

Who is going to know about my misconduct and my referral for disciplinary action?

The information is private, since it is part of your educational record.  You have the authority to decide when and if this information may be released. Any record of misconduct is confidential and protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Any student who is a victim of a crime of violence may receive information on the outcome of the case, but this information is privileged information as well.

For the person concerned about a student needing assistance

When should I refer a student to your office?

Please consider making a referral to the Office of Student Conduct whenever a student expresses concerns about one or more of the following issues:

1.      The student is in conflict with another student.

2.      The student is worried about the lack of fairness of a university policy, or about the negative impact that a specific policy or practice is having on him or her. .

3.      A student feels he or she has  been a victim of sexual misconduct by another student