Benefits of service-learning
Students in service-learning courses can benefit academically, professionally, and personally. These are just a few of the ways:
- Gain hands-on experience
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Learn more about your community and social issues
- Improve your ability to handle different experiences
- Enhance communication skills
- Test your skills you have learned from the class to help out your community
- Grow a professional network of people you might connect with again later for jobs or internships
- Satisfy your urge toward public service or civic participation
- Make a difference and contribute to your community
"This course (GERO 432) was special to me because I was able to apply my course knowledge in a real-life, professional setting."
- Sierra Stevens, Class of 2019 Community Health Sciences
"Service-learning is an opportunity to not just give back to others but to give back to yourself"
- Chance Harrison, Class of 2022 Computer Science & Engineering