The University supports the use of outdoor banners that comply with approved standards and which are only displayed on light poles (not buildings) within designated zones throughout campus. This policy applies to both on and off-campus facilities, whether owned or rented by the University. Please fill out Campus Banner Request at least 10 days prior to installation at the bottom of this page.
Designated Banner Zones
The University has three banner zones: Entrance, Historic and Residential. Within the Entrance zone there are a specified number of light poles which are assigned to specific departments on a "fair share" basis. Please refer to the banner zone links for more information about pole locations and light pole assignments.
Each department assigned light poles will assign a banner coordinator who is charged with seeking approval from the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications for the content and graphic designs of all banners. The banner coordinators will also determine the duration of time a banner stays on an assigned light pole, rotate banners as they deem appropriate and provide for storage of banners.
In addition to these three zones, the Vice Provost, in coordination with the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications, has authority to create smaller zones throughout campus in order to support academic or student sponsored events that advance the mission of the university. Deans or student organizations requesting approval for banner installation within these smaller zones will coordinate with the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications who will serve as the banner coordinator. In addition, prior to the start of a new school year, the Associated Students of the University of Nevada (ASUN) and/or the Graduate Student Association will identify its various sponsored events, dates, and locations for banners, and submit them collectively as a "one-time" request for approval to the Facilities Resource Committee (FRC). Subsequent ASUN or GSA banner requests that might occur during the school year, and which were not included in the "one-time" request, will be submitted for approval to either the individual zone coordinator if the banner request is for a pole in an established zone or alternatively, to the Vice Provost if it is not.
Banner Standards and Purchase
All outdoor banners must comply with University standards for size, material, and graphic design. In general, banners will: Contain the official University of Nevada, Reno Block N logo that is proportionately sized and in compliance with graphic standards.
- Limit the use of the color red
- If your banner is event related, include the building location of the service or program, date of program and url
- Be in compliance with the graphic standards at: Marketing and Communications
Requesting departments are responsible for purchasing their banners through external vendors in accordance with Purchasing Department guidelines.
All outdoor banners must comply with University standards for size, material and graphic design.
- Limited to a 24"wide x 48" height banner dimension(s), including a 2" maximum sewn pole pocket at both the top and bottom of the banner height
- Fabricated with 16 ounce minimum vinyl scrim banner material
- Double sided (two layers of material back to back)
- Banners shall have a double sewn seam at all edges and at both sides of the pole pockets. The seams are to be located a minimum of ¼" from edges of the banner material and shall have a consistent ½" nominal spacing between the two lines of the double sewn seams
- Metal tie-down grommets shall be installed at all intersecting locations of double sewn seams (the 2 locations where the double side seam intersect the upper and lower pole pocket seam)
Banner installation, pole brackets, and pole rods will be provided by Facilities Services staff. Banners are to be delivered to the main reception desk room 012, at the Operation and Maintenance Building #076, located at 1303 Evans Avenue; phone number 784-8020.
Banner Request Process
A draft of the banner, including content and graphic design, must be submitted at least 30 working days in advance to the Integrated Marketing Department for approval. The requesting department is responsible for all costs related to revised content and graphic design.
After approval from Integrated Marketing, a request for banner installations must be sent to Facilities Services. Requests must include:
- Department and point-of-contact
- Account number to be charged for installation and removal expenses
- Desired location
- Installation and removal dates
The Facilities Services Department will install and remove banners via in-house staff or contractors, and will cross-charge requesting departments at the applicable shop rate for these services.
Appeals to a denied banner request may be made to the Facilities Resource Committee.