Join our accelerated and affordable graduate program
We offer a three-semester intensive graduate program for students who have a journalism, writing, communication or digital media background and who want to hone their skills to become the next generation's communicators. For students without journalism (or related) experience, we offer classes to prepare you for work in our graduate program.
Our program looks to the future, based on these observations
- The evolution of mass media to networked media requires new practices and new skills that merge the enduring values of professional journalism with the emerging practices of networked communication.
- Effective communicators are able to use digital technologies to engage participants, tell stories, analyze and visualize data and enable new forms of interactivity between citizens, journalists, media communicators and institutions.
- Journalistic work now requires much more than an emphasis on producing stories: it requires empathy, participation, a sense of service and a keen appreciation for experimentation and entrepreneurship.
Students who complete this program will
- Gain a deep understanding of how journalism is changing.
- Master a range of interactive new media tools.
- Practice user-centered design thinking to develop new ways of doing journalism.
- Become proficient at social media and participatory communication.
- Gain valuable experience in thinking entrepreneurially about networked communication.
- Research, envision, and prototype a unique and innovative communication platform as a program option.