Great Basin Hall
Great Basin Hall is a STEM community focused on supporting and promoting the academic success of students pursuing a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics. Programming offered during the academic year supports the development of scholars who are prepared to pursue a STEM graduate education and enter the STEM workforce. Students will hear from faculty, staff, and professionals in the STEM disciplines to gain a better understanding of the various types of careers they can pursue. The community also helps students explore opportunities around STEM research and begin developing professional skills needed to succeed in a STEM career. The STEM Community is a dynamic, energetic community of scholars who exemplify academic and personal success and are actively engaged in the UNR community. Eligible students for Great Basin Hall must be enrolled in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) focused academic program. For a full list of eligible major and minor programs, please click the Eligible Majors & Minors link below.
Eligible Majors & Minors
Some living learning communities are available in Great Basin Hall. For more information on this optional experience, please refer to the Living Learning Communities webpage.
This residence hall is designed to house 400 students, both freshmen, and upperclassmen, with primarily suite-style living arrangements. Most of these suites can accommodate four residents in two bedrooms, with a common bathroom. Additionally, Great Basin Hall provides a limited number of single and triple rooms. Building amenities include a computer lab and innovation lab/workspace for project designs.
- Five (5) floors, housing up to 400 STEM students in suite-style living arrangements
- Television and quiet-study lounges on every floor
- Laundry and vending facilities located on the first floor
- Laundry facilities feature washers and dryers that accept mobile pay through the PayRange App. For more information, visit the WASH Mobile Pay webpage
- Wireless internet in all rooms and common spaces (wired options in each room)
- Front desk open 24 hours/day during academic session
- 24-hour computer lab and innovation lab for project designs
Room Layout and Features
- Same gender by suite; most suites have a bed to bathroom ratio of 4:1 (2 bedrooms each with 2 beds) and one bathroom to be shared by 4 residents
- Some single and triple rooms available
- Each resident has a single bed with 80" long mattress (beds may be bunked)
- Each resident has a desk, chair, dresser, wastebasket, and closet
- Blinds on all windows