Steve Gehrke holds an MFA in poetry and screenwriting from the University of Texas-Austin, where he was a Michener Fellow and a Ph.D. from the University of Missouri-Columbia.
He has published three books, most recently Michelangelo's Seizure, which was selected for the National Poetry Series. His other awards include a Pushcart Prize and a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. Individual poems have appeared widely in journals and anthologies. He's had scripts recognized by the Nicholls Foundation. Zoetrope and the Chesterfield Screenwriting Fellowship.
He teaches courses in creative writing, literature and Core Humanities.
- Creative writing - poetry
- 20th-century American literature
- Michelangelo's Seizure. University of Illinois Press (2007)
- The Pyramids of Malpighi. Anhinga Press (2004)
- The Resurrection Machine. BkMk (University of Missouri-Kansas City) (2000)
- Ph.D., University of Missouri - Columbia, 2006
- MFA, Poetry and Screenwriting, University of Texas-Austin
- B.A., Minnesota State University