- Social semiotics
- Adult L2 learners with emerging literacy
- Refugee-background adult L2 learners
- Community engagement
- Teacher training
- Altherr Flores, J. A. (2021). The interplay of text and image on the meaning-making processes of adult L2 learners with emerging literacy: Implications for test design and evaluation frameworks. In B. Deygers (Ed.), Language testing for low-literate learners [Special Issue]. Language Assessment Quarterly: An International Journal. doi.org/10.1080/15434303.2021.1984491
- Altherr Flores, J. A., & Pettitt, N. (2021). Review of Teaching adult immigrants with limited formal education: Theory, research, and practice, edited by Joy Kreeft Peyton and Martha Young-Scholten. Language Issues, 31(2), 142¬–147.
- Altherr Flores, J. A. (2021). Assessing refugee-background adult second language learners with emerging literacy: How a social semiotic analysis reveals hidden assumptions of test design. In D. S. Warriner (Ed.), Refugee education across the lifespan: Mapping experiences of language learning and use (pp. 139–159). Educational Linguistics, vol. 50. Springer. doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-79470-5_8
- Altherr Flores, J. A. (2021). The semiotics of writing: How adult L2 learners with emergent literacy make meaning in assessment texts through writing. In N. Pettitt, L. Gonzalves, E. Tarone, & T. Wall (Eds.), Adult L2 writers with emergent literacy: Theoretical and pedagogical considerations [Special Issue]. Journal of Second Language Writing, 51. doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2021.100793
- Altherr Flores, J. A., Hou, D., & Diao, W. (2020). Lingua francas beyond English: Multilingual repertoires among immigrants in a southwestern U.S. border town. International Journal of Multilingualism, 17(2), 107–133.
- Altherr Flores, J. A. (2019). Messages and meaning in perceived and lived spaces: Semiosis, institutions, and landscapes. In A. Cirocki & R. Farrelly (Eds.), Current perspectives on teaching English to refugee-background students [Special Issue]. European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL, 8(1), 175–202.
- Altherr Flores, J. A., Fogel, L., Shufflebarger Snell, A. M., & Van Roekel, K. (2019). Teaching and tutoring adult emergent readers with refugee backgrounds: Implementing a training program for community volunteers. In J. Sacklin & D. McParland (Eds.), Literacy Education and Second Language Learning for Adults (LESLLA): Proceedings of the 13th Annual Symposium. (pp. 1–18). LESLLA.
- Altherr Flores, J. A. (2018). Decoding citizenship in USCIS naturalization test materials: A critical social semiotic analysis. Critical Multilingualism Studies, 6(1), 22–50.
- Altherr Flores, J. A. (2017). Social semiotics and multimodal assessment of L2 adult emergent readers from refugee backgrounds. In M. Sosiński (Ed.), Alfabetización y aprendizaje de idiomas por adultos: Investigación, política educativa y práctica docente/Literacy education and second language learning by adults (LESLLA): Research, policy and practice. (pp. 9–31). Universidad de Granada.
- English 100I - Composition Intensive
- English 114 - Composition for Multilingual Students
- English 102 - Second-Semester Composition
- Ph.D., Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, University of Arizona, 2020
- M.A., English Language and Linguistics, University of Arizona
- M.A., Classical Languages and Classical Archaeology, Florida State University
- B.A., Anthropology and Sociology; Greek and Roman Studies, Rhodes College