Debra Moddelmog is Emerita Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Emerita Professor of English at the University of Nevada, Reno. In her 36-year career in higher education, she organized new administrative units, launched innovative programs such as an applied liberal arts initiative, served in a variety of leadership roles, and received several awards for her teaching, leadership, and diversity-building engagements. Moddelmog is a specialist in twentieth-century U.S. literature, modernism, and sexuality studies. She is a member of the Editorial Board of The Hemingway Review and of the Advisory Board for the Hemingway Letters Project. She also serves on the Board of the Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts in Reno.
- 20th-century American literature
- Sexuality studies
- “Hemingway and Queer Studies.” The New Hemingway Studies. Ed. Suzanne del Gizzo and Kurt Curnutt. New York: Cambridge UP, 2020. 146-60.
- “Time to Go? Moving Up and Moving On.” Women Leading Change in Academia: Breaking the Glass Ceiling, Cliff, and Slipper. Ed. Callie Rennison and Amy Bonomi. San Diego: Cognella, 2020. 257-74.
- “Corrupt Reading in/of ‘A Simple Enquiry.’” Teaching Hemingway’s Short Stories. Ed. Frederic Svoboda. Kent, OH: Kent State UP, 2020. 84-96.
- Samuel Steward and the Pursuit of the Erotic, ed. with Martin Joseph Ponce (Columbus: Ohio State UP, 2017)
- “State of the Field: Gender Studies, Sexuality Studies, and Hemingway.” Teaching Hemingway and Gender. Ed. Verna Kale. Kent, OH: Kent State UP, 2016. 7-23.
- Hemingway in Context, ed. with Suzanne del Gizzo (Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2012)
- Reading Desire: In Pursuit of Ernest Hemingway (Ithaca: Cornell UP, 1999)
- Readers and Mythic Signs: The Oedipus Myth in 20th-century Fiction (Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP)
- Ph.D., English, Pennsylvania State University, 1985
- M.A., English, Auburn University, 1981
- B.S., Journalism, Georgia Southern College, 1976