- Ph.D., Public Health, Oregon State University
- M.S., Nursing Education, Idaho State University
- B.S.N., Nursing, University of Nevada, Reno
- A.S.N., Nursing with Honors, Michigan Technological University
UNR Faculty Senate: Executive Board & Senator Division of Health Sciences 2015 - 2018
UNR Graduate Council: Faculty Senate Representative 2015 - 2016
Nevada Nurses Association: State Secretary 2015 - 2017
NNA Environmental Health Committee: Chair
Research Program and Expertise
Dr. Longo is a nurse epidemiologist specializing in Environmental Health. Her main research interests are on populations residing in volcanic environments, and identification of health effects from volcanic air pollution. She has been featured on the Science Channel, CNN International, and Discovery News Channel. Her research was influential in passing health policy legislation to monitor air quality in affected communities around Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. Dr. Longo continues to research cardiorespiratory health effects associated with degassing volcanoes, and is developing health promotion programs for affected populations.
Current Research Projects
- Teach SBIRT - Nursing Education Project 2016 - 2018
- The Volcanic Air Pollution Education Project - the American College of Emergency Physicians - Hawaii Chapter - 2016
- The Public Health Impact for Northern Nevada from Wildfire Smoke 2016 - ongoing
- The Kilauea Volcano Health Study 2007 - ongoing
If you are interested in furthering this research you can make a tax-deductible contribution to the Volcano Health Study Fund.
- 2012 to present Associate Professor
- 2006 to 2012 Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing
Mental Health Nurse Educator, Renown Regional Medical Center, Reno, NV
Instructor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics during dissertation, Oregon State University; Post-Doctoral Research 1998-2000 Professor of Mental Health Nursing, Universidad National de Peru-Cajamarca, Peru
Thomas Rumble Fellow in Nursing, Wayne State University
Andean Rural Health Development
Instructor of Nursing, Great Basin College, NV
Instructor of Nursing, Universidad de Cuyo, Argentina
Nurse Educator, Washoe Medical Center, Reno, NV
Nurse Manager/Supervisor, Washoe Medical Center, Reno, NV
Press Coverage of Research Highlights
- Earth Magazine - Kilauea increases asthma risk - September 2016
- Geological Society of America Annual Meeting Press Release - September 2016
- Climate Change in the Great Basin - RNFormation Newsletter - November 2014
- Great Basin Climate Forum - Wildfire Smoke & Public Health - April 10, 2014
- West Hawaii Today: Vog health impacts on rise - October 2013
- Earthquakes in Nevada - September 2013
- Clean Air: A Human Right for All! - August 2013
- Wildfire Smoke Exposure in Northern Nevada - August 2013
- KUNR - National Public Radio - 2013 Rim Fire - Wildfire Smoke Exposure
- Vog Study Good & Bad News - West Hawaii Today - June 19, 2012
- KHNL News broadcast "Hawaii News Now Sunrise - June 19, 2012
- United States Geological Survey
- The Ka'u Calendar - July 2011
Keeping Healthy in Ka'u
- Hawaii Public Radio - The Conversation, March 10, 2011
- Hawaii Weather Today - October 20, 2010
- Latest Kilauea eruption causing health problems - West Hawaii Today October 2010
- Dr. Joshua Green part of team studying health effects of Kilauea Volcano- Pacific Business News October 2010
- Health Effects of Hawaii's Active Volcano - Examiner.com Honolulu October 2010
- Eco World - October 2010
- 'Vog,' or volcanic air, is health concern - UPI.com October 2010
- Study finds more health problems linked to Kilauea - Maui News October 2010
- Kilauea volcano eruption health impact continues after two years - Medical Daily October 2010
- Eureka Alert - October 2010
- Science Daily - October 2010
- e! Science news - October 2010
- Mounting research shows increased health risks from volcanic air pollution- Science Magazine October 2010
- USA Today - April 2010
- Honolulu Advertiser - April 2010 (2)
- Volcanic Air Pollution Chokes Locals - Discovery Channel News 2009.
- The Wrath of Vog - Honolulu Magazine 2009
- Vog a health concern for Hawaii Island - Hawaii News Now Special Report KGMB, KHNL TV
- Big Island Weekly 2008
- West Hawaii Today 2008
- Maui News 2008
- Hawaii legislation for Air Monitors in Vog Area - HCR141 2005
- Science Daily 2005
- Longo, BM. (2013) Adverse health effects associated with increased activity at Kilauea Volcano: A repeated population-based survey. ISRN Public Health. Open Access ID 475962
- Prahm, N., Longo, BM., Baxter, K. & Brown TJ. (2013) Lightning does strike twice; A fulminology primer for nurse practitioners. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(8), 479-486. Feature article for continuing education.
- Longo, BM & Longo, AA. (2013) Volcanic ash in the aire we breathe. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine, 8:52. Open Acess
- Longo, BM. (2012) Acute Respiratory Illnesses at Kilauea Volcano (Hawai'i, USA). Cities on Volcanoes 7th - Colima, Mexico
- Forsberg, N., Longo, BM, Baxter, K. & Boutee M. (2012) Wildfire Smoke Exposure: A Guide for the Nurse Practitioner. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 8(2), 98-108.
- Longo, BM, Acute respiratory effects associated with elevated vog emissions from Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Public Health Nursing Section, Washington, DC, November, 2011.
- Longo, BM & Panik, B. Vog in Paradise: Implications to the Ecosystem and Human Health. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Environmental Health Section, Washington, DC, November, 2011.
- Padilla, L., Longo, BM, Yang, W, & Amos, E. Self Prescription of Antibiotics by Latin Americans in a Clinical Setting. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, (Podium Presentation) Public Health Nursing Section. Denver, CO, November, 2010.
- Longo, BM, Yang, W & Green, JB. Acute exacerbations of asthma associated with "vog" exposure at Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, (Podium Presentation) Epidemiology Section. Denver, CO, November, 2010.
- Longo, BM, Yang, W, Green, JB, Crosby, FL & Crosby, VL. (2010) Acute Health Effects Associated with Exposure to Volcanic Air Pollution (vog) from Increased Activity at Kilauea Volcano in 2008. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 73: 20, 1370 - 1381.
- Longo, BM, Yang, W. Green, JB, Longo, AA, Harris, M. & Biblone, R. (2010). Indoor air quality for vulnerable populations at Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. Family and Community Health, 22(1), 21-31.
- Longo, BM & Yang, W. Relative risk of acute pharyngitis in communities exposed to "vog" from Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, (Podium Presentation) Environmental Section. Philadelphia, PA, November, 2009.
- Longo, BM. An environmental health nursing assessment of indoor air quality in a community exposed to vog from Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, (Podium Presentation) Public Health Nursing. Philadelphia, PA, November, 2009.
- Longo, BM, Yang, W & Green, JB. The Kilauea Volcano Health Study - Phase II Epidemiological Findings. Geological Society of America Annual Meeting (Podium Presentation) Geology & Heath Section. Portland, OR. October, 2009.
- Longo, BM. Acute respiratory effects associated with volcanic air pollution at Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i.Sigma Theta Tau International, 20th International Nursing Research Congress (Podium Presentation) Respiratory Diseases Section. Vancouver, Canada. July, 2009.
- Thom, S, Longo, BM, Running, A, & Ashley, J. (2009). Celiac disease: A common disorder. A guide to successful treatment. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 5(4), 244-253.
- Longo, BM. (2009). The Kilauea Volcano Adult Health Study. Nursing Research, 58(1), 23-31.
- Mallory, C, Running A, & Longo, BM. (2009). Chapter 16: Complementary and Alternative Therapies, in Urbanic & Grouhs (Eds) Women's Mental Health: Clinical Guide for Primary Care Providers. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Longo BM, & Yang W. (2008). Acute bronchitis and volcanic air pollution: A community-based cohort study at Kilauea Volcano, Hawai'i, USA. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 71:24, 1565-1571.
- Longo BM, Rossingnol A, & Green JB. (2008). Cardiorespiratory health effects associated with sulfurous volcanic air pollution. Public Health, 122(8), 809-820.
- Longo, BM, Grunder, A, Chuan, R & Rossignol, A. (2005). SO2 and fine aerosol dispersion from the Kilauea plume, Kau district, Hawaii, USA. Geology; 33(3): 217-220.