The Mechanical Engineering Department has a long history of innovation and excellence in research, education, and outreach. We are intent on extending and strengthening our history through strong bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs that are driven by our mission, guiding principles, and goals.
The mission of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Nevada, Reno is:
- To provide undergraduate and graduate educational programs which emphasize fundamental mechanical engineering skills, such that:
- Our graduates are competitive in local, national, and international employment opportunities
- The core curricula are broadly based to accommodate a variety of career goals
- To provide the faculty and students an environment for scholarly research and innovation
- To act as a focal point for engineering practitioners and industry through industry/university cooperative efforts
- To develop and cultivate life-long learning opportunities
Our Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives are that our graduates will be:
- Proficient in performing entry-level mechanical engineering analysis and design.
- Able to define, design, execute, and analyze experiments.
- Able to communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing.
- Successful in pursuit of graduate studies at UNR or at other institutions.