What is the Nevada Water Innovation Institute?
The Nevada Water Innovation Institute is a shared vision and effort by the regional water resource agencies and utilities and the University of Nevada, Reno.
Our goal is to develop and implement innovative and integrated water solutions for regional needs and to demonstrate national leadership in the water sector by the Truckee Meadows region.
What does the Water Innovation Institute do?
The NWIC partners aim to collaborate and demonstrate national leadership in the water sector by developing products, methods, and human resources to compete in the water innovation market. The NWIC will help the region and the state to practice sustainable water management for economic growth and enriching the natural water environment.
Develop innovative approaches to water management, including pollution prevention, water reclamation and reuse, and water quality.
Collaborate with utility and industry members to demonstrate national leadership in water innovation
Educate our future workforce and community on water issues and sustainable water use and reuse
Areas of focus
- Water reclamation and reuse applications
- Water treatment
- Resource recovery (nutrients, energy, water)
- Stormwater management
- Surface and ground water quality protection
- Water resources and sustainable water management
- Industrial water and waste management
- Water-economy nexus and water footprints
- Water education, workforce training and development
- Public education and outreach