CBESS will select 32 bilingual Northern Nevada high school juniors to participate in the following free programming:
- Career Exploration Events - Participants and parents will meet and interact with healthcare professionals. These events are subject to COVID-19 restrictions and could be virtual pending current CDC recommendations. Dates (subject to change) are:
- Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #1: February 27, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Career Exploration Event #2: April 3rd, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Career Exploration Event #3: April 24th, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Summer Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #4: May 15th, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Summer Research Program - Participants will either live on the University of Nevada, Reno campus or participate in a virtual for three weeks, attend daily classes (conducted in both English and Spanish) and create a student-led research project about a community health issue. SRs will learn to perform hypothesis-driven research, receive instruction and content in STEM and health care, tour a variety of research and health care facilities, and polish their communication and writing skills. Dates (subject to change) for the summer program are June 14th - July 2nd.
- Near-Peer Mentoring - Participants will match with a bilingual undergraduate (Leadership Trainee) to receive monthly mentoring during senior year.
- Outreach Internship -Participants will participate in a CBESS Outreach internship creating an initiative based on the summer research project.
CBESS will select an additional 64 Northern Nevada high school juniors who will not receive the above programming, but will receive:
- Gift Card - Participants will receive a $150 gift card for completing questionnaires throughout their junior and senior years
Who should apply?
- Northern Nevada high school juniors
- Spanish-English bilingual
- Interested in healthcare careers
- First generation students
- Income qualified